Skip to main content

Old Friends, New Friends

This weekend I experienced something quite fun! I took one of my "new Texas friends" to an Open House at a new housing development. She likes to decorate so I thought she might be interested in looking around at the model homes as well as some of the other products available for viewing or purchase. It was a nice "Ladies Night Out" sort of thing.

What made it even more interesting was the host of the Open House was a woman I went to Middle School and High School with. Also attending this Open House was her sister who had been one of my best friends in junior high! Keep in mind that I have not stayed in touch with either of these ladies until recently so we are coming up on 30 years since we laid eyes on one another. I asked my new friend, Ashley, along not only for something fun to do, but now you can see, for a little support. What if I didn't get along with these old friends of mine? What if I meet them again and can't wait to get out of there? I needed a back up plan, and if I had a friend with me, then I could make a quick escape!

So, I picked up Ashley, grabbed some Mexican food for dinner (like a good Texan) and drove out to the planned event. When we got there, I looked right into the face of my friend, Erin...who looked just like she did in 8th grade...only older! It was crazy! And the same with her sister, Kate! We had such a good time and I am so glad that I went. I can't thank my "new" friend, Ashley, enough....she was a trooper! Hanging out while the three of us reminisced. (never mind the impromptu drive to the airport and back...that is a whole different story!)

As I stared into the faces of these two, grown, successful women, I could see the faces of my childhood friends. It was amazing. It was cool. As we said our good byes and decided to keep in touch, I felt like I had accomplished something important. I can't describe exactly what I felt, but I shared with Ashley that I felt like I had history. I liked seeing who they had become and I liked them....still. I was comfortable with who I had become, and I liked me. And I like knowing that I know someone who has known me for over 30 years. There is something good about that.

Old friends, new friends, and old friends who have become new friends. Life is good.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Unexpected

Sometimes, things just don't happen like we expect. Occasionally, the unexpected is a nice surprise, but sometimes the unexpected can turn an event, circumstance, or even a life, upside down. Last week, my daughter and I went to spend Spring Break with family. Our flight was lovely, the weather perfect, and we were looking forward to a stress free week. The first thing we did was eat lunch at one of our favorite Thai restaurants. As usual, we looked forward to our fortune cookies. We took turns reading and laughing...and then my daughter opened hers - "Be prepared for a change in plans." Uh-oh. We didn't like this one but we decided our week would be stress free and fun in spite of what a cookie said. Continuing on through out the day, all was well until that night. I sat outside on the porch of a friend I have known for 35 years and received news that changed something I have believed for 30 years. The words were horrible and made me so ill that I got sick within min...

I Close My Eyes

Well, I did it. I took the writer's challenge at a blog that I have been lurking around for some time. I found this blog through Laura at Wellblog 's place and have been enthralled ever since. I have dabbled in poetry on and off. Written some invitations, cards, and even a few song lyrics (for fun) but have been hesitant to post any. (roaring lion? see below post ) With the encouragement of a friend, I decided to take the challenge on L.L.Barkat's blog, in a lesson on seeing. I chose a subject that is cherished, a memory that was real and something close to my heart. The beach. Many, many days were spent at the beach in the 12 years I lived on the Southern Virginia coast. The memories are real, and when.......... I close my eyes and I can still see the beach. The endless spans of water Sometimes blue, green, or gray. It moves Gently and Violently Bubbles rise and falling forward. On and on. I close my eyes and I can still hear the crash Of tidal movement As earth slowly spi...

Birthday!

Today is a special day. It is the first day of my last year in my forty's. I am a little anxious about this, but overall, excited. There is something about knowing that 50 is one year away that causes me to experience a deeper motivation to live life to the fullest. Yesterday, I resigned from my current position. Fifteen months ago I accepted a position with a group of cardiologists in Dallas, thinking that it would be a good move to bring more satisfaction in my work life. Long story short, it did not turn out that way. (I don't think that was even a short story, but bear with me.) Although I met some people that I really liked, and enjoyed working with the doctors in that practice, it just really did not satisfy my desire to learn, to lead, and to make a difference. I have tried hard not to complain, and only a few close friends know how I really felt about my job there and I have prayed fervently (and with others) that God would open the door to an opportunity more su...