Skip to main content

Packing and Preparing!

Need to pack
Need to pack

Then why am I sitting here on the computer reading blogs? And now typing a post...for no real reason?

I need to pack!

This upcoming weekend is one of my favorite weekends - ever! It is the annual Heart to Heart retreat in the Ozarks of Missouri! In the past, I have traveled to Tulsa via airplane and then by car with my mom. I will miss doing that this year, but I am taking 3 very special friends with me this year! I cannot even imagine the fun we will have on the road trip there and back! We range in age from early 20's to 50's, we know each other well, and care about each other bunches, which makes the weekend even more inviting! Then, when we get there, we will be with crowds of other women, all from different walks of life - but with one common bond - understanding, peace and love of the 12 step program and serenity.

Already, in my mind, I can hear the laughter. I can smell the musky dorm rooms where we will sleep, and the aroma of the food coming from the mess hall (and it is GOOD food) is already filling my tummy with desire. When I check in, I will receive my "word" - the word that I will ponder as a characteristic of myself, that I will either accept or grow into while there. And the excitement I feel for my friends and wondering what their "word" will be as well. There will be time for celebration, seeing old friends, some time for reflection, time for grieving and letting go, and time for some plain old fun!

I will be stretched, I will grow, and I will leave grateful! Grateful that I have a God who loves me unconditionally, who has my best in mind and will always protect and care for me, and grateful for friends who I can share life with - real life!

Oh, how I love Heart to Heart! My heart explodes at the anticipation...

Okay, I NEED TO PACK!!!!!!!!!!

Comments

L.L. Barkat said…
I love the packing. Each piece a little bit of hope for what's to come. Some will be worn and some will not. Just like the moments we'll embrace or, for one reason or another, need to set aside.

Popular posts from this blog

The Unexpected

Sometimes, things just don't happen like we expect. Occasionally, the unexpected is a nice surprise, but sometimes the unexpected can turn an event, circumstance, or even a life, upside down. Last week, my daughter and I went to spend Spring Break with family. Our flight was lovely, the weather perfect, and we were looking forward to a stress free week. The first thing we did was eat lunch at one of our favorite Thai restaurants. As usual, we looked forward to our fortune cookies. We took turns reading and laughing...and then my daughter opened hers - "Be prepared for a change in plans." Uh-oh. We didn't like this one but we decided our week would be stress free and fun in spite of what a cookie said. Continuing on through out the day, all was well until that night. I sat outside on the porch of a friend I have known for 35 years and received news that changed something I have believed for 30 years. The words were horrible and made me so ill that I got sick within min...

ABC's of the Word - Y

It's Thursday! I love Thursdays because I take special time to ponder and pray about the verses in God's word that have meant a lot to me as I walk with Him. I was excited to get to "Y" because of of my very favorite scriptures begins with "Y", using the word "Your" as we talk to God about how wonderful His love is. This particular scripture is one that I go to whenever I feel that I have wondered away from Him and it is a song (by Third Day) that I sing when I want to praise Him for how deep, how wide, how big His love really is! More than I can imagine! Your love, O LORD, reaches to the heavens, your faithfulness to the skies. Your righteousness is like the mighty mountains, your justice like the great deep. O LORD, you preserve both man and beast. How priceless is your unfailing love! Both high and low among men find refuge in the shadow of your wings. Psalm 36:5-7 (NIV) For more ABC's of the Word visit Grey Like Snuffie

I Close My Eyes

Well, I did it. I took the writer's challenge at a blog that I have been lurking around for some time. I found this blog through Laura at Wellblog 's place and have been enthralled ever since. I have dabbled in poetry on and off. Written some invitations, cards, and even a few song lyrics (for fun) but have been hesitant to post any. (roaring lion? see below post ) With the encouragement of a friend, I decided to take the challenge on L.L.Barkat's blog, in a lesson on seeing. I chose a subject that is cherished, a memory that was real and something close to my heart. The beach. Many, many days were spent at the beach in the 12 years I lived on the Southern Virginia coast. The memories are real, and when.......... I close my eyes and I can still see the beach. The endless spans of water Sometimes blue, green, or gray. It moves Gently and Violently Bubbles rise and falling forward. On and on. I close my eyes and I can still hear the crash Of tidal movement As earth slowly spi...