Friday, July 27, 2007

Goodbye - again

This morning before day break, my husband and I stood at the end of our driveway, in the dark, waving to our son as he left to drive back to Virginia to finish his last semester of college before graduating! And talk about not liking to say good bye! UGH! He was home for most of the summer doing an internship. I must admit, I was a little worried at the onset, thinking it might be difficult to have our adult son back in the house for these months, but it was so much fun. I think that the shootings at Virginia Tech in April (where he attends school) might have contributed to my increased joy in his presence, but even still, it was very fun and very pleasant to have him around.

So today, it is a day of mourning of sorts. He has safely reached his first hotel destination, so I am grateful for his safety. I am also very grateful that he has the opportunity to attend college and obtain the degree of his choice, and I am very grateful that he loves his family and that he seems to enjoy being around us too. However, I am still aware of the good bye. The next time he is here, he will be a college graduate. (God willing) It will be the beginning of a new chapter in his life and mine as a mother. No longer will my first born be dependent on me, but he will be an adult. Wow!

Good bye. Be safe. I am proud of you. I love you.

No comments: