Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Exhortations are the PITS!

Recently, I have been face to face with a couple of different situations where I had to exhort. All at once. And I want to ask God "WHY?" "Why? and why all at the same time?" Certainly, there is something for me to learn and I will continue to wait for His reply. Or .... He could decide my question is self seeking and choose not to answer my selfish request to explain Himself.
Either way, I don't like to exhort. period.

To exhort according to Merriam Webster - "to make an urgent appeal".

Urgent appeal.

Tough stuff sometimes.

Most difficult...in my relationship with my husband. But I know I must in order to grow - together. I don't like it though, and neither does he. Matters not which end we are on; giver of exhortation or receiver. (there are times for both, no doubt) Neither of us like either. But in the end - God is honored, our marriage is honored. Oh, Lord, give me grace and humility. It is the only way.

My daughter. Who likes to make an exhortation to a 16 year old female? If you (think you) do, it is probably because you have not. LOL! But, there is a wedge between one of my best friend's daughter and my daughter. It is stupid and immature, but it is still unacceptable. So, I made an urgent request to my daughter to do her part to make it right. ugh. I know she doesn't want to have to be the one. But, the one who is aware is the one who is responsible....so I exhort my daughter to do the right thing. She has a deadline or I go to my friend in a second urgent request to assist in making this minor, but harmful situation right. Bah, humbug!

A friend. A dear, close friend. Oh, it is so difficult to be honest when we are hurt. And when the pain is caused by a behavior that is not bringing glory to the Lord. Boo - again. I struggle to do what God asks me to do. He gives me discernment and I don't want it.

I was whining, venting, and hoping for advise as I confided to my mom. Wise, she reminded me to make sure "my side of the street is clean" as these exhortations go out. In other words....look to make sure that I have taken responsibility for any part that is mine that is wrong, any amends that I need to make...make sure that the log is not stuck in MY OWN EYE before I mention a splinter in the eye of another....my husband, my daughter, or my dear friend.

Search me, O God, and know my heart;
test me and know my anxious thoughts.

See if there is any offensive way in me,
and lead me in the way everlasting.

Psalm 139: 23-24

Keeping my side of the street "clean" so to speak can only be done if I am consistently asking God for help. Only He can see my ways. So, I go to Him, knowing only He is the real street cleaner in my life. And only He can help my husband, my daughter, and my dear friend clean their streets as well.

In the meantime, I continue to ask for God's heart, for His eyes, and for the ability to imitate His grace, mercy and truth in my life.

No comments: