Skip to main content

Suffering

I really don't like to think about suffering but I know it is part of life. And when things are going really well for me, I struggle a little because I know I am not doing anything right - I am just in a good place for now. The next trial, the next crisis, the next ... something... will certainly come along eventually.

Suffering is everywhere and nobody is exempt. I have lived through my own bouts of this and it started early in my life like many others. Some of the things I have suffered have been relatively small, but some of them have been great and life changing. I work in a place where every patient admitted has experienced some sort of trauma which brings them to our hospital. They suffer. My dear friend admitted her 16 year old daughter to an inpatient drug and alcohol addiction rehab hospital yesterday. Lots of suffering. Another has lost her husband after many years of marriage. She suffers. And my pastor is battling malignant brain cancer. Suffering.

There is a website (The Resurgence) that I love to follow. So much teaching, truth, and things to challenge my growth, that I could spend hours here. Today, I found a message from my pastor, Matt, and he is sharing a message on suffering. I have witnessed his battle and God's victory in the last year and a half as Matt fights his cancer. And I learn, am challenged, and am humbled every single time I hear him share on this subject. I pray that God's sovereignty, God's peace, and our need of Him is poured into all who happen upon this message.



Comments

Tricia Gurley said…
That was exactly what I needed to hear today !! How awesome is God, working through you !

LOVE YOU!!

Tricia

Popular posts from this blog

The Unexpected

Sometimes, things just don't happen like we expect. Occasionally, the unexpected is a nice surprise, but sometimes the unexpected can turn an event, circumstance, or even a life, upside down. Last week, my daughter and I went to spend Spring Break with family. Our flight was lovely, the weather perfect, and we were looking forward to a stress free week. The first thing we did was eat lunch at one of our favorite Thai restaurants. As usual, we looked forward to our fortune cookies. We took turns reading and laughing...and then my daughter opened hers - "Be prepared for a change in plans." Uh-oh. We didn't like this one but we decided our week would be stress free and fun in spite of what a cookie said. Continuing on through out the day, all was well until that night. I sat outside on the porch of a friend I have known for 35 years and received news that changed something I have believed for 30 years. The words were horrible and made me so ill that I got sick within min...

I Close My Eyes

Well, I did it. I took the writer's challenge at a blog that I have been lurking around for some time. I found this blog through Laura at Wellblog 's place and have been enthralled ever since. I have dabbled in poetry on and off. Written some invitations, cards, and even a few song lyrics (for fun) but have been hesitant to post any. (roaring lion? see below post ) With the encouragement of a friend, I decided to take the challenge on L.L.Barkat's blog, in a lesson on seeing. I chose a subject that is cherished, a memory that was real and something close to my heart. The beach. Many, many days were spent at the beach in the 12 years I lived on the Southern Virginia coast. The memories are real, and when.......... I close my eyes and I can still see the beach. The endless spans of water Sometimes blue, green, or gray. It moves Gently and Violently Bubbles rise and falling forward. On and on. I close my eyes and I can still hear the crash Of tidal movement As earth slowly spi...

Birthday!

Today is a special day. It is the first day of my last year in my forty's. I am a little anxious about this, but overall, excited. There is something about knowing that 50 is one year away that causes me to experience a deeper motivation to live life to the fullest. Yesterday, I resigned from my current position. Fifteen months ago I accepted a position with a group of cardiologists in Dallas, thinking that it would be a good move to bring more satisfaction in my work life. Long story short, it did not turn out that way. (I don't think that was even a short story, but bear with me.) Although I met some people that I really liked, and enjoyed working with the doctors in that practice, it just really did not satisfy my desire to learn, to lead, and to make a difference. I have tried hard not to complain, and only a few close friends know how I really felt about my job there and I have prayed fervently (and with others) that God would open the door to an opportunity more su...