Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Chapters

Pages in the story of my life turn every day, every minute every day. And every so often, a chapter is closed. Sometimes I rejoice at the end of a chapter, glad that it is over and other times, I feel sad.

Sunday night, a chapter closed and I spent my last evening as Home Group leader to a group of women who have become very special to me - some over several years and some over just a short period of time.

It is difficult for me to look back and determine the exact start of this chapter, but I recall vividly the story that God wrote on my heart as I lived it. And it will remain one of my favorite chapters, loved and cherished like a favorite book - one you hang on to forever, read over and over again, and lovingly caress when you run across it on the shelf.

It is a story of a question and an answer. A prayer and God's plan. Fear and courage, anger and forgiveness, uncertainty and enlightenment and most importantly God's amazing grace.

And even though I know the story is not about me (it never is), parts of it include the ways that God showed me how much He loves me. He did that by allowing me to pull away from Him and to feel like I was alone. And just when I was certain that I would always be "alone", He would show up so big that I ran back to Him as fast as I could. And when I asked Him what He wanted me to do, He whispered, "Follow Me" and then made the path so bright and so wide that I couldn't see any other way. On the days that I felt I had nothing good in me, He reminded me that I have His spirit.

He used a group of women, from every back ground, ranging in age from 22 to 53, to teach me, to bless me, and show me His love. I think all I did was read a book, or select a scripture, or type an email, or make a phone call. Every two weeks, I ran the vacuum, dusted my family room, and chilled bottles of water and opened my home. I did nothing. Absolutely nothing. And He loved me through these women.

A beautiful leather journal sits on the table beside the quiet place where I spend time with God most mornings. A journal, a gift...a perfect gift for me who loves to record prayer, answers, questions. In that journal are notes from these ladies that confirm the work that God is doing - in my life and in theirs. A scripture was read to me when the gift was presented and so it was the first recording of God's truth as I wrote it down in the book. And I read the notes from these women and prayers are prayed, God's word comes to mind, and love swells as I allow the words to start the new chapter in my life.

These women will always be a part of my life, woven into the story of God's grace and mercy.

I am so grateful and so blessed.

(Here are some of the sweet women from this group.)

You yourselves are our letter of recommendation, written on our hearts, to be known and read by all.
2 Cor 3:2

Thank you, God.
Thank you, sweet friends.
Love,

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Liz,

Oh...beautifully written! I love your prose - well said. I rejoiced when God gave me the scripture He had for you. You birthed a place for us to grow and, God willing, it will continue to be a refuge and a garden of the Lord. We will miss you very much - although there's always a place for you here. I truly believe that your calling as Coach will utilize your gifts even more. I can't wait to see what God has in store for us all!

Love,

Leigh