Friday, January 7, 2011

Resolve

New Year's Resolutions sort of get on my nerves. Why do we think that because we go to sleep one night and wake up the next morning that our motivation or our strength to make huge life changes will happen just because one number changed on the year of our calendar?

Okay, I get the new year, new beginning thing, but we have that same opportunity often. Every day is a new day. Every hour is a new hour, and even a minute gives us the gift of a new start and another opportunity to make a better choice than we might have made the moment before.

Not to say that I am not for setting goals because I certainly am, but it annoys me just a little that lists upon lists of resolutions are made at this time of year and so few of them are achieved. I wonder if it is because we make a list of 5, 10, even 50 things that we want to do differently, add to our lives, or resolve to stop doing and in all reality, to make one major change at a time and stick with it is so much more achievable.

So my New Years Resolution? It is to continue looking for opportunities every day to grow, to love, to be healthier, to make a difference, and to honor God. Those chances happen every day and I don't want to miss them when God brings them to my attention. And to resolve? Blech. My mind rebels against the very thought. Resolve sounds like it is something I would be doing in my own power, and even sounds a little like "white knuckling" my way through something. If that's the case, it's guaranteed failure for me. I am weak on my own. God's power is the only way that I can make any real change in my life.

Just thinking....

No comments: