Monday, January 17, 2011

Multitude Monday One Thousand Gifts

Taking time to be grateful...
for
Heat. Every Monday since I started my new job, our building has not had heat. This would not be so bad except it has been bitter cold outside, Texas or not. And I REALLY do not like the cold. We don't really know what is going on with the heating system, but today, when I got to work and discovered the cold, I drove home, picked up a blanket, and went back to work. It warmed up as the day went on, so we must have gotten heat, but I am so grateful to be in a heated environment.

Friends. Real friends. These gifts surface at exactly the right time, and honestly, there was a time not that long ago that I wondered if there is such a thing as real friends, and if there is...would I really ever have them? Well, I have had them all along. I forget sometimes when I get cynical. But, I have them - that's for sure! And they just get better and better.

Reading. I am grateful that I have the ability to read. And I read all day long - various types of things, but reading is a huge part of my life. Through reading, I get to know God when I read his word, I read at work to find out what I am supposed to do, I read to learn how to do things, and I read for entertainment.

Patience. Other people's patience especially. I observed my daughter's boyfriend exhibit outstanding patience this evening.

Memories. Recently, I read through some old journals, letters, and cards. It brought back some memories. Some time back, I would have thought some of the memories were "bad" memories, but there is an old cliche' "Time heals all wounds". I find this to be true. Most of what I thought was "bad" just "is" now, and even some of what was painful, now brings joy. And an old friend who I thought I lost, is not lost at all. She is in my memories (and she still reads this blog sometimes). That's not lost or bad...and for that, I am grateful.

Cold medicine. Yep. I am grateful because it keeps the symptoms of the common cold from bothering me too much. I can carry on with most of my regular activities, even when I have a cold.

Cycle class. I found a form of regular exercise that I enjoy, even look forward to. I can go at various times too...and tomorrow I will go at 5:45 a.m. Crazy, I know, but I really like cycle class. Thank you, God, for answering my request to help me stay diligent in my exercise. (yes, even when I have a cold)

My husband. This one is constant - and so is he. Not perfect, but a great husband.

Serenity. I remember when I felt my life was unmanageable. I am so grateful for the day I decided that I might be able to benefit from a 12 step program. I will only look back with gratitude.

Forgiveness. I have learned to forgive. And I have been forgiven. Sadly, not all the damage is repaired (thinking of "Memories" and lost relationships), but forgiveness is what makes that paragraph a happy one. I pray that the ones still feeling hurt will find the same freedom in forgiveness.

Feeling grateful.

No comments: