Skip to main content

Weight Loss trials and victories

I have been "on a diet" for 11 days now.
I am tired of it.
Yesterday I was geared up for difficult temptations since that is the day we enjoyed our family meal to celebrate Easter. My family had all been warned that there would be no ham (since it is so high in sodium, it is not on my list of foods to eat) and that the casseroles would be limited to only one. So, we had coffee rubbed beef tenderloin (which was fantastic), roasted asparagus, grilled portabello mushrooms, broccoli/rice/cheese casserole, rolls, and strawberry shortcake for desert. I only at one spoon full of the broccoli casserole, skipped the rolls, and ate only the strawberries for desert. We went to the Saturday evening worship service and when I came home, I was still satisfied and went to bed. WHEW! I made it!
This morning, every tempting thought ran through my head.
"Who cares how much you weigh, you look fine in the dress you are wearing to the wedding."
"Look at all the chocolate that the Easter Bunny left! Jeremy won't even know if you eat some of his candy."
"Let's just go get Mexican food tonight....or order a pizza."
On and on my thoughts went.
Somehow, I managed to make it through the day. I had one bite of the broccoli casserole that was left over (not on my plan) and since I have been almost sodium free, it tasted very salty.
The tricky part was satisfying that mexican food craving with no salt, no carbs, and nothing canned or jarred. (I am eating only fresh produce). I am happy to say, I have prepared and eaten my dinner, and I feel satisfied. I cooked and shredded chicken breast, seasoning it with chipotle chili powder, garlic, onion, and lots of cumin. I steamed some fresh green beans, chopped some fresh, sweet tomatoes, mixed it all up...and the yummy southwest flavored concoction was pretty darn good!
I am not sure what my weigh in tomorrow will bring, but hopefully there will be a satisfactory number on the scale.

Happy Easter!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Unexpected

Sometimes, things just don't happen like we expect. Occasionally, the unexpected is a nice surprise, but sometimes the unexpected can turn an event, circumstance, or even a life, upside down. Last week, my daughter and I went to spend Spring Break with family. Our flight was lovely, the weather perfect, and we were looking forward to a stress free week. The first thing we did was eat lunch at one of our favorite Thai restaurants. As usual, we looked forward to our fortune cookies. We took turns reading and laughing...and then my daughter opened hers - "Be prepared for a change in plans." Uh-oh. We didn't like this one but we decided our week would be stress free and fun in spite of what a cookie said. Continuing on through out the day, all was well until that night. I sat outside on the porch of a friend I have known for 35 years and received news that changed something I have believed for 30 years. The words were horrible and made me so ill that I got sick within min...

I Close My Eyes

Well, I did it. I took the writer's challenge at a blog that I have been lurking around for some time. I found this blog through Laura at Wellblog 's place and have been enthralled ever since. I have dabbled in poetry on and off. Written some invitations, cards, and even a few song lyrics (for fun) but have been hesitant to post any. (roaring lion? see below post ) With the encouragement of a friend, I decided to take the challenge on L.L.Barkat's blog, in a lesson on seeing. I chose a subject that is cherished, a memory that was real and something close to my heart. The beach. Many, many days were spent at the beach in the 12 years I lived on the Southern Virginia coast. The memories are real, and when.......... I close my eyes and I can still see the beach. The endless spans of water Sometimes blue, green, or gray. It moves Gently and Violently Bubbles rise and falling forward. On and on. I close my eyes and I can still hear the crash Of tidal movement As earth slowly spi...

Birthday!

Today is a special day. It is the first day of my last year in my forty's. I am a little anxious about this, but overall, excited. There is something about knowing that 50 is one year away that causes me to experience a deeper motivation to live life to the fullest. Yesterday, I resigned from my current position. Fifteen months ago I accepted a position with a group of cardiologists in Dallas, thinking that it would be a good move to bring more satisfaction in my work life. Long story short, it did not turn out that way. (I don't think that was even a short story, but bear with me.) Although I met some people that I really liked, and enjoyed working with the doctors in that practice, it just really did not satisfy my desire to learn, to lead, and to make a difference. I have tried hard not to complain, and only a few close friends know how I really felt about my job there and I have prayed fervently (and with others) that God would open the door to an opportunity more su...