Monday, August 20, 2007

God's gifts...the ocean and friends!


I love the beach. I lived in Hampton Roads, Virginia for over 10 years and while I was there, I found a part of myself that I didn't know I existed...Beach Bum. There is something about the beach that became part of me. I love it. I am amazed by the vast space that the ocean takes up and that for as far as I can see is water. I love to day dream about the people and places on the other side and the creatures that are living in an entirely different world below. My heart is captured by the way the water calls me to play. She beckons me with words like, "See my waves? Don't you want to jump and yell for joy at the way my water tosses and turns with you?" And then she says, "Sit. Relax. My sounds will calm you, will settle you. I will dance for you. Enjoy the way the sunlight glistens on my surface for you, the way the waves bubble for you. Get lost in the gentle rocking that I provide as my tide moves in and moves out." I love the sights, the sounds, and the gentle power that lives within that big ocean.


The other day I received one of the best gifts ever. A friend of mine called me early one morning...from the coast of Nags Head, North Carolina. I could hear the excitement in her voice as she said, "LISTEN! I want you to hear this!" It was the crashing waves of the ocean. She had set her alarm early (and she is NOT an early bird!!) so that she could enjoy the sunrise and the early morning. She has moved inland like me and was very excited to be back at the beach! I had a little bit of time when she called, so we chatted. We talked about the beach, how much we love the beach and moved on to share a little about life. The beach does that...relaxes, causes one to think, and seems to put a more positive light on lots of things. We hung up the phone and I felt up beat and excited about life. I was happy and thought about her spending time in such a special place. I praised God for our friendship, the way He has worked in her life and in mine, and then I praised Him for the beach!


Thanks, God! You are awesome.


Thanks for calling, Wendy. You made my day!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That morning, the line in a praise song came to mind, "The oceans cry out to You." The ocean's beach is truly one of God's most wonderful creations, meant for us to experience.

(And I'm becoming more of a morning peson with the discovery of God's other wonderful creation, the coffee bean!)

Really cool reflection. I agree with every way you described the beach. Thanks for sharing.

Love,
Wendy