Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Learning to Live

This is a revised post.

It seems that my earlier comments were received as unforgiving, in a post about forgiveness. Not unforgiving but part of the process, yes. My process. Out of respect, (for my good friend) I have revised this blog. And I continue to pray that God will bless the ones who judge me and talk about me instead of to me.

This blog is mine, to post what is on my heart. Sometimes what I write is unedited and from my heart. Read at your own risk. If you are going to judge me and talk about me, please find somewhere else to spend your free time.

**********************************************************************************
I have many "drafts" in the "Manage blog" section of this web site that have to do with the topic of forgiveness. It seems I start to write them and don't ever finish. I realize it is much like the way I forgive, I start to do it, have the intention and the desire to do it, and can't quite seem to do the final step. In blogger terms, I don't seem to ever "Post Blog".

But, I am going to do it this time. I will post the blog. And I am determined to have the same persevering attitude about forgiving.

There are a few people in my life that have hurt me. It is tempting to carry the hurt and bitterness with me, but I choose to not do so. Some of the hurts have been deep, coming from people who I trusted, who I loved, and I thought were people who loved others the way God does. People are not as trustworthy as God is. They still hurt and apologies never come...over and over again, even. I find myself saying to God, "WHEW! This is too hard! I am glad you think I can handle this because I don't think I can!"

GOD IS GOOD! He is a wonderful healer. He also is a great teacher. He gives me everything I need to develop character that will allow me freedom from bitterness. I experience true freedom in Christ whether or not the people who have hurt me ever accept my request for forgiveness. (some of them haven't) Here are some things that have helped change my attitude about my enemies when I am tempted to hold on to the pain of hurt and become bitter.

Bitterness is like drinking poison and hoping someone else will die.

OUCH!

With hands freshly loosed, I find liberty to embrace the One who never changes and the courage to release those who will.

I do not want to be the type of person who refuses to forgive others, and it is one of my biggest temptations. I want to remain aware of the sober reality of God's will on this matter...He forgives me, so I must forgive.

I want to understand that the punishment and repercussions that come to people when they have done wrong is often sufficient for them. Instead of causing more grief, I want to forgive and comfort that person (when the opportunity is there) so that they will not be overwhelmed by sorrow and guilt.

I want to be the kind of person I would want ministering to me after I had failed.


Post blog.

Forgive

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

You didn't need to change it, it was fine the way it was. It is what you experienced and how you feel. No names were used and it was respectful. I know you well, and you are forgiving and forgiven. You are a child of God. Don't let the sins of others distract you. Chin up, walk in the grace of our Lord!