Saturday, August 4, 2007

Brain Dumping

My son recently transferred all of his on-line journaling from Xanga to blog spot. I laughed when I saw it because he selected the name "Adam's brain dump" to describe his writings. Here is how it looks:

"Adam's Brain Dump
I was talking to him earlier on the phone and shared with him how I laughed when I read the title. The conversation went on to blogging, why we blog, etc. I told him I hadn't posted in a week because I usually need to be inspired to write something. He responded that he posts when he has "too much on his mind and needs to put it somewhere else." And of course I laughed again and said, "Hence the name Brain Dump". He replied, "yeah...."

I totally agreed.

As we talked I started to evaluate how different people "brain dump". Most of the time, I talk. Which I did share with Adam. When something is really bogging down my brain, I will usually make a phone call to someone who I know loves me and can tolerate the many words that exit my mouth as a result of too much information on my mind. There are only a few people who are on this list...my mom and my best friend, sometimes Adam or Aaron (my other son)...all depending on the subject. My husband is not a good one for brain dumps unless it is truly important or involving him. (He tolerates enough of my chatter without my adding more)

I have been aware of this interesting need of mine for some time. The first time I realized I was doing it was after I got married. It seemed when my husband and I would crawl into bed after a long day, he would feel romantic and I would start to talk about one subject then quickly jump to the next. It drove him nutty, thinking that I was avoiding his romantic advances and my response was, "I just need to clear my mind first." Eye opening for both of us.

I do the same thing now. My best friend and I still like to have slumber parties, even at our old age. We like to stay up late drinking coffee, talking, sometimes listening to music or watching movies. She falls asleep when she starts to get drowsy...no matter where we are or what we are doing. As we finally make our way to bed, she is thinking happy thoughts of sleep and I start to talk incessantly. She moans or snores. I apologize and say, "I am dumping information so I can sleep." I think she might be used to it by now.

To keep from irritating everyone that I know and spend time with, I journal. I journal in the morning. I journal sometimes at work. I keep a journal beside my bed, and now keep this blog.
Brain Dumping.

I love it.

I am happy that Adam has found an outlet for this necessary aspect of mental health.

And if you want to check it out...here is the link...

http://adamsbraindump.blogspot.com/

No comments: