Wednesday, September 5, 2007

More on being real

Interesting how this topic continues to occupy my thoughts. God must have something for me to learn (or teach?) about being real. It seems every where I turn, someone is talking about being real.

I had a lovely lunch with a new friend a few days ago. I thought we were both being pretty real, learning more about one another. Even though we didn't actually SAY anything about being real, I know that was the goal. The following day, she wrote a thought provoking blog entry...about being real. Hmmmm. Now I want to talk to her again - REALLY- about being real.

There is a radio program that I listen to many days during my commute into Dallas for work. I have about 45 minutes in the morning so it is a good time to listen to God's word. Today, the broadcaster spoke about being real. Interesting.

Tonight, I attended a Bible Study at my great church (Fellowship Church). The study is about meeting needs. In order to see these needs and meet them, one must be real. Relationships must be authentic, not forced. We were challenged to be like Christ, to spend time with people because we care about people and because we want to spread the love of God. This can't happen unless we are real.

Another new friend picked me and my daughter up so we could ride together to Bible Study tonight. She and I have lots of fun when we are together, and the conversation is pretty real. Funny....as we were driving home, our discussion was totally about being real. You see, we had just gone through a book Bible Study during the summer months. The group really clicked, and a lot of that was due to our being real with one another.

Why is it so difficult to be real? Why do we sometimes want to cover up who we really are...wearing masks, plastic faces with plastic smiles?

I am SO grateful to have found some people in my life who are real! I am blessed to be able to be real with others. I don't know how I could grow as a person, as a follower of Christ, if I couldn't be real, with God, and with those He puts in my life! I am thankful for REAL!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awesome blog! I love it! I think we aren't real with people because we think they don't have the time for the truth, they don't care to hear the truth and we don't want to be hurt by the truth. You do have things to teach on this subject. I feel it! I sense it! I don't know what it is but it's there. And I have a sene yo know what it is. God brought you into my life for a reason not just a season! I know that for sure!!! You are incredible and have a genuine heart for keeping it real. Don't change who you are because who you are is leading others to be truly who they are!!! God is using you! And I must say He picked a pretty darn fantastic lady to show his love to a superficial world!!