Thursday, September 27, 2007

Back to School

My husband started back to school this week. His goal is a Master's degree. My goal is survival. No, really, it is not that bad having him in school. He takes on-line classes, so he is at home when he is at school. This does help...sometimes. As I type, he is locked away in our oldest son's bedroom on his laptop.

A co-worker (who is also my friend) and I were talking this week about the change in our schedule with Fred starting classes. She knew I had enjoyed the summer due to Fred's decision to wait until fall to begin the new semester. She also had been witness to the pace we were dealing with when he was finishing up his bachelor's degree last year. As a matter of fact, she encouraged me to drag him to as many movies as I could last weekend knowing that is the one thing I really miss when he is so busy with homework. (and I did manage to get him to two very good movies- 3:10 to Yuma and Brave One.) However, as we talked, she observed that Fred has been a student a good portion of our married life. I suppose I never really thought about it, but she was right.

He has been going to school since our eldest son was very small and before the other two were even born. I think it was around 1985 that he began this pursuit. Wow. He has plugged away on his education for as long as I can remember. There were a few years in the late 1990's and early 2000's that he was "in between" degrees. But as soon as we got to Texas in 2005, he started back. I am proud of him. He has worked really hard.

So, here we go again. A Master's degree. I envy his perseverance. I am proud of his determination. He has a goal in mind and he desires to better himself and better our family. He wants to be an example to our children. We both would like to be able to retire...with pay. We would like to have more so that we can give more.

We will survive.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Poor baby. Mom