Friday, September 14, 2007

Second Chances

Why is it that some people are just not tolerant of other people’s mistakes and some people are? I used to think that the ones that were intolerant, the one’s who write other people off due to a disappointment or deception, are the one’s who never made a mistake themselves. I don’t think so anymore. They make just as many mistakes as people who freely give others a second chance.

I have the human tendency to hold grudges. It seems that when I believe someone has done me wrong, I am tempted to put an end to their involvement in my life. I know this is a wrong behavior but I must admit, it is my first response. The phrase “fight or flight” has been used several times as I study, read, and have counseled in effort to make for healthier relationships. I might be the type of person who fights then flies. Do I have to choose? If left up to me, I will choose both.

And I certainly make my share of mistakes!

I think that my dear husband has been the one who has suffered most from this character flaw of mine. He has forgiven me and given me second chances over and over again. I am hoping that he will not run out of patience with me, since I am frequently in need of another chance. (every month I need a do over!)

As I think about this, I realize that there are just not many second chances in our world. Phrases like “It’s now or never.”, “Three strikes and you’re out.”, and “It’s a dog eat dog world out there.” have become society’s way of thinking.

It’s not for me though. I think I just won’t live with those dogs! Why would I let a bunch of failures tell me how much of a failure that I am?

I want people in my life who give me second chances. Thank God for the man I have married, my wonderful children, my parents, and especially my best friend. They give me chance after chance. I hope that they feel that I do the same for them.

It’s not every day that you find someone who will give you a second chance – much less someone who will give you a second chance every day. Jesus does that! I am so glad that I have Him in my life and also have Him for my example. He is the perfect example of love and second chances!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm not crazy about living with those dogs myself! I also don't think they would taste very good. Love you, Mom