Friday, September 28, 2007

The one that Jesus loved

I have always found it very interesting the way that the disciple John refers to himself in scripture. He uses third person and he calls himself "the one that Jesus loved". (See John 13:23, John 20:2 and John 21:20 for examples.) I never said so out loud, but I thought him to be just a little proud. The claim John makes in his definition of himself always made me just a little uncomfortable somehow. I would explain it to myself and even others as a description of the close relationship that Jesus had with him...even Jesus had a "best" friend. And even though I still believe this is part of the illustration that is being made here, I have added something new and even more beautiful to John's confidence.

John was totally focused on Jesus' love for him. As I read through the gospel of John, and his other writings in 1, 2, and 3 John, there is a definite security in John's certainty of God's love for him. I always get the feeling that he really does feel like Jesus loves him more than anyone else in the world.

Compare John to Peter. I like Peter. He was mouthy and he spoke his mind. I can relate to Peter because his temper sometimes got him into trouble. After all didn't Peter whack off the ear of one of the servants of the High Priest who came to arrest Jesus? But Peter seemed to focus more on Peter. He was always talking about how much he loved Jesus. "I love you, Lord." "I will lay down my life for you, Lord."

Both John and Peter play important parts in the spreading of the gospel. They both were called by God to testify to the life, death and resurrection of our Savior. But John stands out to me in a different light. He zoned in on God's love for him. Peter's attention to what he could do for God got him in a little hot water toward the end. He crumbled. He denied Christ. And even though it all worked out the way it was suppose to in the end, it is John who I want to be like. He was steadfast. He was there to the end. He did not waiver. And I think it was because he knew...he knew, he knew that Jesus loved him. I know that, but I want to REALLY know that...like John did. I want to be zoned in on the fact that I am a precious loved child of God. I am the apple of His eye.

Jesus loves me, this I know
For the Bible tells me so
Little ones to Him belong
They are weak, but He is strong.

Yes, Jesus loves me
Yes Jesus loves me
Yes Jesus loves me
The Bible tells me so!

I am proud, the way John was. I am the one that Jesus loves!

No comments: