Thursday, May 29, 2008

I'll Be Right Here


A couple of days ago, I was feeling overwhelmed with emotions that I wasn't working through very well. These emotions are ones that historically trigger negative thinking patterns and so I was fighting to keep a positive attitude. I went to a yoga class and found myself weeping on and off through portions of the class so when I left, I quickly made a phone call to one of my very best friends in Virginia. She and I have been through a lot together and I knew that she would quickly understand exactly what I was dealing with. I was quite distraught and it was nice to hear her voice.

I poured out my concerns. Most of what I was dealing with had to do with conflicting feelings regarding my upcoming trip to Virginia. My emotional immunities are a little low these days with having a teenage daughter, my mom's upcoming surgery and some personal things that I am working through. My friend listened. She asked a few questions, some of which I had to really think about before answering. I imagine she must be tired of hearing about this stuff since I have been dealing with it on and off for quite a long time. However, she was patient and attentive as I went over things that she has already heard.

As we were wrapping up the conversation, I acknowledged that what I was facing was fear. We laughed at how crazy the human mind works. I shared some of the outlandish thoughts that pop into my mind at the thought of running into people that I don't want to run into, being hurt by people who don't want to run into me, and also feelings of fear about being in this place that I called home for such a long time and having to say good bye - again.

She responded with one of the nicest things that has been said to me by a friend in a very long time, and it counter acted the exact fear that I was facing - being alone.

She said, "Just remember that when you are here I will be right here with you the whole time."

Thanks!

As I pondered this sentence and the encouragement that it brought, I thought about how wonderful it is that God is so faithful, that He does care about our needs and He does answer prayer. He even provides more than we need as He did in this situation. I know that God will be with me as I travel to Virginia. I know that He will protect me from what He does not intend to use in my life. But He takes it a step farther. He gives me a great friend, a Godly friend, one who knows me as well as anyone on earth could know me and provides her strong and God-like support as I walk into a situation that might bring some pain. Don't misunderstand, the trip will be fun and there is a whole lot I am looking forward to; however, there are a few things that are emotionally scary for me. No way would I want to walk through it without God, but He is SO gracious to give me a friend to be beside me - one that I can hug if I get scared or hurt.

To hear the words, "I will be right here with you the whole time." is a wonderful promise from God and a wonderful promise from my friend too.

1 comment:

Pamela (His maidservant) said...

That is a most ownderful promise we have from our Lord...it's harder to find from those around us. You are blessed to have such a friend!!

In His Graces~Pamela