Friday, May 2, 2008

Give and Take

This morning I called my friend, Tina, for one of our early morning chats on my way to work. I had not talked with her in a couple of days because I had been feeling just a little bummed. There was no real reason for this, but as an old friend of mine used to say, "Things just aren't lining up for me." So, I called her to touch base before the weekend and I told her that I was feeling a little out of sorts. Oddly, she had been feeling a little the same way the last couple of days (most likely why she hadn't called me either), so we encouraged one another and I prayed for her when we got off the phone. And, as usual, I felt better after we talked and was grateful to have a friend that I can talk to and be honest when I don't feel quite right and I don't know why. Plus, we went over some planning for my trip out to Virginia that really was good to discuss and hammer out, so to speak. When the conversation came to a close, I told her how glad I was to have her as a friend. I didn't say (but I should have) that I was glad that I called her. Talking to her turned my attitude around. I guess I could say that it was more "take" on my part, since I don't feel like I "gave" much to her. But, it will come around in due time.

I went into my work day feeling a little more upbeat than I expected. However, I became challenged in this area too. Long story short, another department is moving into the area right next to mine. I had discussed with the supervisor of this department some of my concerns and he assured me that my desires would be met. What neither of us anticipated was having to share a printer/copier and the workspace around it. After speaking to him, I went to discuss my concerns with our Chief Billing Officer, Jeff. Thankfully, he has an open door policy, which I have used on a few occasions so our relationship is well established. Also, we have a good personal repore, which helps. He listened to me and agreed to assist me and then changed the subject by saying, "Hey, I have something for you!" My response was, "WHAT?" He looked in his briefcase, his wallet, and finally in his desk drawer and pulled out some concert tickets and handed them to me. I squealed when I saw that they were tickets to the upcoming Radiohead concert. I had asked him about them back in February when we were all on the ski trip.
(that's Jeff in the background carrying Felicia's ski's...see blog titled Girls Gone Wild)

He gave them to me and I took them.

So, there is a young guy who I have become friends with at work who really wanted to see the concert. He seemed a little too shy to ask for the tickets (long story...our boss has concert ticket hook ups) so I thought I would ask for him. So, today, when Jeff handed me the tickets, I was thrilled. I did call my husband to see if he wanted to go. (he likes Radiohead...I think they are OK) My hubby declined and so I told him that I would give them to my friend. He agreed. So, I gave the free tickets over to my young 25 year old friend and he was stoked! It was the most fun thing I have done in days...maybe even weeks! He was so excited that he was shaking. He even gave me a hug. It was great to make him so happy.

Let me tell you what, my day was outstanding from that moment on. If I started out feeling out of sorts, I rediscovered the joy of making someone else's day. I continued to relive the excitement that my friend expressed as he found out the tickets were his.

It was a day of give and take. And it was beautiful.

1 comment:

Kelley said...

Hi Liz,
Thank you so much for your sweet comment on my blog. I have actually been confused about my age recently (I thought I was still 42 but turns out I'm already 43)of course the kids will never let me forget for too long. LOL

I have enjoyed reading through your blog. I'm so sorry about what happened to your mom and the loss of her husband. I can't imagine the pain you both must be going through!

Have a good weekend and I hope to "see" you again soon.....

Prayer and Blessing,
Kelley