Skip to main content

Second Chances

Why is it that some people are just not tolerant of other people’s mistakes and some people are? I used to think that the ones that were intolerant, the one’s who write other people off due to a disappointment or deception, are the one’s who never made a mistake themselves. I don’t think so anymore. They make just as many mistakes as people who freely give others a second chance.

I have the human tendency to hold grudges. It seems that when I believe someone has done me wrong, I am tempted to put an end to their involvement in my life. I know this is a wrong behavior but I must admit, it is my first response. The phrase “fight or flight” has been used several times as I study, read, and have counseled in effort to make for healthier relationships. I might be the type of person who fights then flies. Do I have to choose? If left up to me, I will choose both.

And I certainly make my share of mistakes!

I think that my dear husband has been the one who has suffered most from this character flaw of mine. He has forgiven me and given me second chances over and over again. I am hoping that he will not run out of patience with me, since I am frequently in need of another chance. (every month I need a do over!)

As I think about this, I realize that there are just not many second chances in our world. Phrases like “It’s now or never.”, “Three strikes and you’re out.”, and “It’s a dog eat dog world out there.” have become society’s way of thinking.

It’s not for me though. I think I just won’t live with those dogs! Why would I let a bunch of failures tell me how much of a failure that I am?

I want people in my life who give me second chances. Thank God for the man I have married, my wonderful children, my parents, and especially my best friend. They give me chance after chance. I hope that they feel that I do the same for them.

It’s not every day that you find someone who will give you a second chance – much less someone who will give you a second chance every day. Jesus does that! I am so glad that I have Him in my life and also have Him for my example. He is the perfect example of love and second chances!

Comments

Anonymous said…
I'm not crazy about living with those dogs myself! I also don't think they would taste very good. Love you, Mom

Popular posts from this blog

The Unexpected

Sometimes, things just don't happen like we expect. Occasionally, the unexpected is a nice surprise, but sometimes the unexpected can turn an event, circumstance, or even a life, upside down. Last week, my daughter and I went to spend Spring Break with family. Our flight was lovely, the weather perfect, and we were looking forward to a stress free week. The first thing we did was eat lunch at one of our favorite Thai restaurants. As usual, we looked forward to our fortune cookies. We took turns reading and laughing...and then my daughter opened hers - "Be prepared for a change in plans." Uh-oh. We didn't like this one but we decided our week would be stress free and fun in spite of what a cookie said. Continuing on through out the day, all was well until that night. I sat outside on the porch of a friend I have known for 35 years and received news that changed something I have believed for 30 years. The words were horrible and made me so ill that I got sick within min...

I Close My Eyes

Well, I did it. I took the writer's challenge at a blog that I have been lurking around for some time. I found this blog through Laura at Wellblog 's place and have been enthralled ever since. I have dabbled in poetry on and off. Written some invitations, cards, and even a few song lyrics (for fun) but have been hesitant to post any. (roaring lion? see below post ) With the encouragement of a friend, I decided to take the challenge on L.L.Barkat's blog, in a lesson on seeing. I chose a subject that is cherished, a memory that was real and something close to my heart. The beach. Many, many days were spent at the beach in the 12 years I lived on the Southern Virginia coast. The memories are real, and when.......... I close my eyes and I can still see the beach. The endless spans of water Sometimes blue, green, or gray. It moves Gently and Violently Bubbles rise and falling forward. On and on. I close my eyes and I can still hear the crash Of tidal movement As earth slowly spi...

Birthday!

Today is a special day. It is the first day of my last year in my forty's. I am a little anxious about this, but overall, excited. There is something about knowing that 50 is one year away that causes me to experience a deeper motivation to live life to the fullest. Yesterday, I resigned from my current position. Fifteen months ago I accepted a position with a group of cardiologists in Dallas, thinking that it would be a good move to bring more satisfaction in my work life. Long story short, it did not turn out that way. (I don't think that was even a short story, but bear with me.) Although I met some people that I really liked, and enjoyed working with the doctors in that practice, it just really did not satisfy my desire to learn, to lead, and to make a difference. I have tried hard not to complain, and only a few close friends know how I really felt about my job there and I have prayed fervently (and with others) that God would open the door to an opportunity more su...