Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Thanksgiving - My job

For those of you who know me, you are probably shocked to see that one in writing! However, yes, I am thankful for my job. Even more of a surprise is the fact that I am also thankful for my commute to and from Dallas!

Let me explain. I am thankful for my job for the obvious reason, first being the income that it provides. I have been able to contribute to our family finances and more importantly to help pay for college tuition for BOTH kids in college without having to take a loan! This is a wonderful thing to be grateful for!

I am also thankful that my job provides our family a few extras. We don't have to over think purchasing things that we did when we were on a single income. American Eagle, Journey Shoes, and places like this that make our kids smile are now places that we can shop...on occasion...but they were way too frivolous before this job.

Fred and I were able to take a fabulous anniversary trip to Mexico, something we would not have been able to do if I were not working. And it was fancy...we were spoiled and totally relaxed knowing that we paid for it all BEFORE we went, in cash. Then I was even further blessed by being able to take a seven day cruise with my mom - in the same year! These type of things would not happen if it were not for my job.

My employer allows me to work a flex schedule. I am ever so thankful for this. I work a 32 hour work week and as long as I am responsible, I can work it however I choose. This is GREAT! I like my boss and the people I work with. This is also a great thing.

Now, about the commute. I usually leave my home a little before sunrise. Usually at some point during my drive, I witness the sun's rising. I see this every day since I travel east to my office. Some days, I simply rejoice at the sight of it. This morning was one of those days. The sun was beautiful and just when I praised God aloud for the beauty of it (literally...with clapping even!), one of my very favorite songs came on the radio. I had a wonderful, spontaneous time of worship. I would not have these great experiences if I did not have the drive that I do.

Then to add to the blessing of my commute, I have had some of the most meaningful conversations with family and friends while I drive. Just turn on the hands free device and make a phone call to someone I love. My days are blessed by the additional time that I have to keep current with those that I care about, all because of the extra 40 minutes in my car on the drive home.

So, I am thankful for my job. I actually enjoy my work. It is more than just a job. It is more than a paycheck but it is also a blessing.

No comments: