Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Countdown


The countdown is nearing the end. I have been counting the days until our oldest son, Adam, graduates from Virginia Tech! I started counting in August of 2002, when we dropped him off and left him in that stinky, noisy, all boys dormatory on campus. As my husband and I walked down the hallway to go back to our car, I could hear Adam's new roommate's loud music echoing profanity from his computer. I walked, stiff as a soldier, trying to keep as much composure as possible, as tears rolled down my cheeks and we left our first born child in that crazy place to get an education! The mommy in me wanted to go back and tell his roommate to turn off the music, and while he was at it, he could take down the poster of the band members in thier underwear! But, I left the two of them in that dorm, puttering around and probably excited to finally be alone in this new world of college, and dorms, and freedom, and loud, unmonitored music. I have to admit, I did call about 15 minutes down the road, but finally did give Adam freedom, atleast for the rest of the day. For the last 5 1/2 years we have watched him develop into a man. He is now college educated. And he is still friends with the loud music playing roommate from New Jersey! He has been in 2 dorms, 2 apartments and has had 7 roommates. He has had roommates he likes and roommates he didn't really care for. He has watched one of them get arrested at the front door of thier apartment. He had one roommate from France and now one from Vietnam. He has been been through fun college times and some really scary and sobering times. And now the time has come to put all the college student stuff to rest. In 2 more days, he will walk across the stage and be handed a college degree in Computer Engineering. I can hardly wait! And if I can hardly wait, I can only imagine how he must be feeling! The countdown is almost over! And now a new phase of life begins! The time has come! Adam is GRADUATING!

1 comment:

Lelia Chealey said...

Conratulations Liz! It's always so exciting to see our kids accomplish things in their life. Thanks for your comment on my blog. I too enjoy reading your blog & will continue to read it. I've decided to only post on Wednesdays now so we'll see how that goes. I'm at home with the kids today as we are snowed in...interesting morning God's given me-I'll have to post about it tomorrow. :) Have a blessed day!
Lelia-your blog friend/sister in Christ from Nebraska.