Thursday, January 3, 2008

New Year Surprises

As New Year's Eve approached this past 2007, I decided that I was not going to make any New Year's Resolutions. The past two years, I have relocated the resolution's list to my birthday. For example, the year of turning 45 was the year to have more fun (since my doctor had told me my stress level was going to kill me if I did not get a grip on relaxing more). When I saw her for my annual exam around my 46th birthday, she suggested that I have a little more fun with salads instead of hamburgers! Ha! So, I guess that my 46th year will be more about health. Anyway, New Year's Resolutions were not on my list of priorities. I found myself discouraged with writing down all of the things that I wanted to do differently at the start of the New Year only to find most of those things unaccomplished at the start of the next. SO NEW YEAR'S RESOLUTIONS FOR ME! Or so I thought...

On December 30
th, I unexpectedly ran across something that my middle son had written that hurt my feelings. He said some things out of anger toward his family that were quite harsh and the way that he described me was critical and unfair. He did apologize, explaining that he was angry at the time but his words continued to ring in my head. I realized it was a good time to act on something that God had taught me some time ago: if someone says something in a critical spirit and not in love, still take that to Him and ask Him if there is any truth in it. “Is there something offensive in my heart You want to change, Lord?”

The floodgate of possible New Year's resolutions opened up! God is faithful to answer prayer and He especially likes to answer prayer that results in growing holiness in His children. This one incident in my life on December 30th lead to a good list of resolutions and answered prayer. I saw some things in my son's words that I needed to work on. I realized that this would affect several close relationships for the better. A long time prayer for a reconciled family relationship was answered with a chance to reunite with our cousins who had been very, very special to us. We now look forward to picking up where we left off 14 years ago and it is so exciting! An email came to me from someone who was part of a situation that has caused a great deal of unresolved hurt and bitterness-another situation of words spoken with a critical spirit. Love and honest forgiveness took place. The incidents continue but the point is that God seemed to be creating my New Year's resolution list for me! It was a mysterious experience but one that I am very grateful for.

If I trust anyone to make my New Year's resolutions for me, it is Him! Wow! What a neat way to start the New Year and what a wonderful way to resolve to change in my life...my creator caring enough about me to write my list for me...in absolute love and grace and giving me all I need to accomplish them! I look forward to 2008!

Happy New Year!

Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!

2 Corinthians 5:17


No comments: