Sunday, October 21, 2007

Old Friends, New Friends

This weekend I experienced something quite fun! I took one of my "new Texas friends" to an Open House at a new housing development. She likes to decorate so I thought she might be interested in looking around at the model homes as well as some of the other products available for viewing or purchase. It was a nice "Ladies Night Out" sort of thing.

What made it even more interesting was the host of the Open House was a woman I went to Middle School and High School with. Also attending this Open House was her sister who had been one of my best friends in junior high! Keep in mind that I have not stayed in touch with either of these ladies until recently so we are coming up on 30 years since we laid eyes on one another. I asked my new friend, Ashley, along not only for something fun to do, but now you can see, for a little support. What if I didn't get along with these old friends of mine? What if I meet them again and can't wait to get out of there? I needed a back up plan, and if I had a friend with me, then I could make a quick escape!

So, I picked up Ashley, grabbed some Mexican food for dinner (like a good Texan) and drove out to the planned event. When we got there, I looked right into the face of my friend, Erin...who looked just like she did in 8th grade...only older! It was crazy! And the same with her sister, Kate! We had such a good time and I am so glad that I went. I can't thank my "new" friend, Ashley, enough....she was a trooper! Hanging out while the three of us reminisced. (never mind the impromptu drive to the airport and back...that is a whole different story!)

As I stared into the faces of these two, grown, successful women, I could see the faces of my childhood friends. It was amazing. It was cool. As we said our good byes and decided to keep in touch, I felt like I had accomplished something important. I can't describe exactly what I felt, but I shared with Ashley that I felt like I had history. I liked seeing who they had become and I liked them....still. I was comfortable with who I had become, and I liked me. And I like knowing that I know someone who has known me for over 30 years. There is something good about that.

Old friends, new friends, and old friends who have become new friends. Life is good.

No comments: