Saturday, October 6, 2007

The Perfect Friday

Fridays have always been an interesting day to me. I don't know exactly why, but I have high expectations of Fridays. I am not sure if it started when I was in school and most Friday's were about slumber parties, then football games, or dates. But I almost always did something fun on Friday nights. When I got married and started having children, Friday's were still special. I did not work while our children were little so I was able to get all my housework and errands completed during the week. The reward was that on Friday, I would get together with another good friend of mine (also the mother of young children) and we would visit and have lunch while our children played together. We did this every Friday and I always looked forward to it. Often times, we would go our separate ways for the afternoon so our little ones could nap, then we would get together Friday evenings with our husbands and children and have dinner. We played board games or cards, while our kids played some more. It was always fun and it kicked off the weekend.

Now that we are older, our kids are older, our friends have changed...several times over, I still have high expectations of wanting to do something fun on Friday. I am so convinced that Friday is a holiday of sorts, that I have arranged my work schedule to allow me most Friday's off of work. If nothing special happens on a Friday, than I struggle with feeling let down and depressed at the passing of Friday with nothing to commemorate the day. Friday...it is the entry gate to the weekend...it time for celebrating the end of the work week!

Yesterday was Friday. I took my normal Friday off. Fred was out of town on this particular Friday. Often times he and I will do our "dates" on Friday afternoons before the Friday night crowds come out. Neither of us particularly like dining out on Friday nights because in our old age, we have found that the crowds, the waiting, and the noise are not so much fun anymore. I would rather eat something simple at home and watch a movie.

So, yesterday, I started the day by taking Rebecca to school. She has flute sectionals on Fridays at 7:00 a.m., so the day started early. I came home and had a nice time of meditation. I saw Aaron off to school. Then I spent two hours cleaning. I cleaned out my computer desk and tidied up my kitchen. I sorted through some paperwork, and mentally took notes of things I needed to take care of. Then I met a friend for a late breakfast. She is also Aaron's girlfriend's mother, but a good friend too. She just returned from a trip with girlfriends so we looked at photos. We had a great time catching up. Then I went to Target. I had a fabulous afternoon at Target, by myself. I purchased all kinds of weird things that I wanted...frames, candy dishes, a Halloween t-shirt, towels, and finally some groceries for the weekend. Then I came home and made tacos. They were so good! After that, my friend brought her 3 year old daughter over. We are babysitting her for the weekend while she and her husband go to her class reunion in Las Vegas. Our whole family watched The Jungle Book. Then I gave the little one a bath, put her to bed and fell into my own, wonderful, comfortable bed next to my husband (who was already asleep) and slept a sound sleep until morning.

Now that is a perfect Friday!

No comments: