Monday, December 8, 2008

Christmas Wish


Christmas Shopping is almost finished. The tree is up and decorated, the halls are decked, the cookies baked. (the first batch anyway)

This is fun stuff.

Today, I did one of those little on-line quizzes that one receives in your email, a little Get-to-know you quiz, Christmas tid-bits. One of the questions was, "What is the biggest annoyance about this season?"

Selfishness was my answer.

At a time when we are to be worshiping the birth of our Savior and King, it is easy to get caught up in being selfish. Even when we try not to be selfish, we have to fight it. Even the good things like "spending time with family and friends" becomes our focus instead of celebrating the birth of God in the flesh.

My desire has been to teach my children that it is not all about them. This is a challenge every year.

Currently, I hope that my nearly 15 year old daughter's focus is out and not in.

The radio station that I listen to does a thing called Christmas Wish every year. Beginning the Friday after Thanksgiving, the morning show team travels to Chick-Fil-A stores all over the DFW area. There are huge notebooks full of local families who have been nominated for a Christmas wish. One can hear everything from wheelchair needs, to job needs, to food needs, to time needs...it is amazing! They also give away free Chicken Biscuits.

OH! That will motivate my teenage daughter to go with me.

And it does.

Last Friday, she and I went to the local Chick-Fil-A and met the morning show host of my favorite radio station. We met our the mayor of our town. And we donated to Christmas wish. My daughter's mouth was agape when she realized how much money was to be given to someone that we do not know.

And she smiled. It was not about Chicken Biscuits anymore. She focused out.

Now when she hears the Christmas Wish, she has new perspective. She has a personal attachment, and she has the heartfelt desire for one's who are struggling to know the love of Jesus.

That is Christmas and I got my Christmas Wish!
Merry Christmas.

KLTY Christmas Wish


Check it out!

2 comments:

pam said...

We never know what will become those moments that take us out of our comfort zone and touch our spirit to connect with Him and His ways. The world and all its ways/things can woo us so easily. I imagine I need the reminder as much as your daughter.

Paula V said...

How awesome Liz to see your daughter's mind and focus transform right before your eyes.
Lovely!!