Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Out With The Old & In With The New


Tonight at midnight, the year 2008 is gone and the new year begins. The world waits with anticipation. We wonder and hope. Some of us look back with gratitude at what the last year held for us, some with regret and maybe some Que Sera Sera for a year that might have been painful or difficult.

New Years Resolutions will be made - and broken - by many. I am not included in that group as I gave up New Years Resolutions a long time ago when I realized they were more damaging to my personal growth than helpful.

Regular and honest personal inventory is what I practice instead. I am a believer in change. My growth in my relationship with the God of the Universe and the One in charge of all change in my life is greatly important. Personal growth, spiritual growth, and a life of simplicity and joy are my goals...all year long.

So, as I have spent time pondering the close of 2008, I have asked myself some questions. Questions like,

"What have I done to honor God this year?"

"How many ways has He blessed me?"

"Who have I been a blessing to?"

"Who do I need to apologize to, make amends to?"

"Have I been a servant?"

I think about the lessons that He has taught me. I remember things like His promise to me to replace fake pearls with genuine pearls.

I rejoice in the work He has done here. I lost one friend but I have more friends now, and they are all genuine pearls! The fake ones are turned over to the Lord and they did not stand the test of time, fake indeed.

I see the blessings He has bestowed upon my family.

The list goes on and on...........

With God in my life, all things are good. 2008 might not be my favorite year, but God's hand was in it.

I welcome 2009 with expectancy. I know God is here. Tonight I will celebrate with my dear husband and a dear friend at a fancy restaurant, all dressed up. We will come back to our home, friends, and children to ring in the new year together with food, drink, laughter and the joy of relationships and love.

And I will ask myself these questions,
"How will I honor God this year?"

"To whom will I be a blessing?"

"How will I serve?"

I will keep my eyes and heart open to His glorious blessings.

I will promptly apologize when I have wronged someone.

I will look for ways to grow in my relationship with HIM and with others.

And testify to His awesome love.
Healthy eating, exercise, wise money management, more time with family, diligent Bible study...all these things on my former resolution list are things that I am working on today, tomorrow, and all the days to come.

Happy New Year!

Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ!
In His great mercy He has given us NEW birth into a living hope
through the reurrection of jesus Christ from the dead...
1 Peter 1:3



2 comments:

pam said...

and love yourself well...Blessings of all His best today Liz!

Paula V said...

These are some great questions to pose as what our last year encompassed and what this next year can be.

Cute photo with hubby on side bar.

Nice new blog look.
Happy New Year.