Monday, October 5, 2009

Princess


She descends the stairs; a princess

And my mind wanders back to another time,

she pretended in my high heels and a fireman hat.
She was not quite three

Now her dress-up clothes are real,
her shoes, on feet; pedicured and perfect.
They spin around for me to admire
her hair, and to tie her sash

She came into the room a toddler
and she walks out a woman.
I watch her walk away, her blond hair
shining in the sun

Memories of my conversation,
asking God for the chance to see her
walk away from me, in a dress,
with long hair gently on her back.

His answer came perfect
and now, I can only give her back
to Him who blessed me
with this woman, my child.

4 comments:

Paula V said...

This is so precious and sweet. I like the ending where you asked God for her and now you are giving her back to Him.
Love,
Paula

H-Mama said...

seriously. i am already in tears due to my garage sale. ;) they grow up too quickly! lovely post. kleenex?

Billy Coffey said...

This was SO GOOD, Liz. I'm praying for the strength to let my daughter grow up!

Laura said...

She is so beautiful, and this makes me cry. You must be so proud, Liz.

You won a copy of my book! I hope you like it :) Send me your snail and I'll get it out to you ASAP!