Skip to main content

Princess


She descends the stairs; a princess

And my mind wanders back to another time,

she pretended in my high heels and a fireman hat.
She was not quite three

Now her dress-up clothes are real,
her shoes, on feet; pedicured and perfect.
They spin around for me to admire
her hair, and to tie her sash

She came into the room a toddler
and she walks out a woman.
I watch her walk away, her blond hair
shining in the sun

Memories of my conversation,
asking God for the chance to see her
walk away from me, in a dress,
with long hair gently on her back.

His answer came perfect
and now, I can only give her back
to Him who blessed me
with this woman, my child.

Comments

Paula V said…
This is so precious and sweet. I like the ending where you asked God for her and now you are giving her back to Him.
Love,
Paula
H-Mama said…
seriously. i am already in tears due to my garage sale. ;) they grow up too quickly! lovely post. kleenex?
Billy Coffey said…
This was SO GOOD, Liz. I'm praying for the strength to let my daughter grow up!
Laura said…
She is so beautiful, and this makes me cry. You must be so proud, Liz.

You won a copy of my book! I hope you like it :) Send me your snail and I'll get it out to you ASAP!

Popular posts from this blog

The Unexpected

Sometimes, things just don't happen like we expect. Occasionally, the unexpected is a nice surprise, but sometimes the unexpected can turn an event, circumstance, or even a life, upside down. Last week, my daughter and I went to spend Spring Break with family. Our flight was lovely, the weather perfect, and we were looking forward to a stress free week. The first thing we did was eat lunch at one of our favorite Thai restaurants. As usual, we looked forward to our fortune cookies. We took turns reading and laughing...and then my daughter opened hers - "Be prepared for a change in plans." Uh-oh. We didn't like this one but we decided our week would be stress free and fun in spite of what a cookie said. Continuing on through out the day, all was well until that night. I sat outside on the porch of a friend I have known for 35 years and received news that changed something I have believed for 30 years. The words were horrible and made me so ill that I got sick within min...

I Close My Eyes

Well, I did it. I took the writer's challenge at a blog that I have been lurking around for some time. I found this blog through Laura at Wellblog 's place and have been enthralled ever since. I have dabbled in poetry on and off. Written some invitations, cards, and even a few song lyrics (for fun) but have been hesitant to post any. (roaring lion? see below post ) With the encouragement of a friend, I decided to take the challenge on L.L.Barkat's blog, in a lesson on seeing. I chose a subject that is cherished, a memory that was real and something close to my heart. The beach. Many, many days were spent at the beach in the 12 years I lived on the Southern Virginia coast. The memories are real, and when.......... I close my eyes and I can still see the beach. The endless spans of water Sometimes blue, green, or gray. It moves Gently and Violently Bubbles rise and falling forward. On and on. I close my eyes and I can still hear the crash Of tidal movement As earth slowly spi...

Birthday!

Today is a special day. It is the first day of my last year in my forty's. I am a little anxious about this, but overall, excited. There is something about knowing that 50 is one year away that causes me to experience a deeper motivation to live life to the fullest. Yesterday, I resigned from my current position. Fifteen months ago I accepted a position with a group of cardiologists in Dallas, thinking that it would be a good move to bring more satisfaction in my work life. Long story short, it did not turn out that way. (I don't think that was even a short story, but bear with me.) Although I met some people that I really liked, and enjoyed working with the doctors in that practice, it just really did not satisfy my desire to learn, to lead, and to make a difference. I have tried hard not to complain, and only a few close friends know how I really felt about my job there and I have prayed fervently (and with others) that God would open the door to an opportunity more su...