Skip to main content

Self Talk Soul Talk - Press On: March On, O MY Soul


Have you ever been so overwhelmed that you just want to give up? There is so much to do that you find yourself not doing anything at all? Or discouragement and / or past failures have you paralyzed?

I certainly have. Whether my house is so dirty that I don't know where to start cleaning, a project is so big and the due date so close that I simply despair over how impossible it seems, or even relationships have failed and I start to think that they are not worth it after all.

Chapter 10 of Self Talk Soul Talk encourages me to press on!

Jennifer Rothschild, the author lays out a step by step plan.

1. Turn your feelings into action.
I can hear the Nike slogan, "Just do it." Another famous phrase, "One day at a time." Years ago, I made the decision to take the next step. Sometimes, when I can't see the end, or don't know where I am going, I stand there...doing nothing. I learned that if I just take THE NEXT STEP, it will lead to the next one. I don't have to know exactly where I am going, just as long as God is leading me each step of the way. Do I really trust Him? If so, then I must take the next step.

2. Affirm your true identity.
This quote from the book speaks volumes to my heart and soul. "Recognize that who you are and what you struggle with are NOT the same thing. Just because you have failed at something doesn't mean you are a failure."
Whoa! So true!
So, yes, I have failed at a few things...okay, let's face it, quite a few things. Some of these failures are things that are important to me, but that does not mean that I am a failure. Another cliche' comes to mind, "If at first you don't succeed, try, try again."

3. Speak truth to your soul.
Self talk soul talk - in ACTION. This entire book has been about this exact thing. God's word is full of truth, and truth about ME, truth about YOU! And there are life giving, encouraging words in His word. Read them! Speak them! Pray them!

4. Exercise Discipline.
WHAT?
Yes, discipline.
Jennifer brings out an age old saying, "Most of the time when we say 'I can't', we are really saying 'I won't'.
True. I recognize this when my kids tell me, "I can't unload the dishwasher right now, I have homework!" Yes they can, they just don't want to.
When someone tells me, "I can't talk to you right now.", I know they are choosing not to.
When I tell someone that I can't ... it usually does mean I won't.
Disability rarely hinders us as much as defiance.
Ouch.
God's guidance and discipline are the key to balance and help us monitor those thoughts, giving us wisdom that only comes from Him. He will tell us when we won't and when we will!

Press on. March on.
And when your dreams turn to dust, vacuum!

For more on Self Talk Soul Talk, visit Lelia's blog @ Write From The Heart

Comments

Hi Liz,
I enjoyed reading what you picked up from the chapter. Sometimes we feel we are the only ones who have the struggles we do. It's good to be encouraged to persevere and speak truth to our souls.

God bless your week,
Sue
Carol said…
Okay Liz,

Love they way you broke this down, and definately love the part about disipline. So true. I know I've been on both sides of that.

On another note now everytime I see Cadbury Eggs I think of you. Have you seen the tiny ones? Yummy and cute.

Love,
Carol

Popular posts from this blog

The Unexpected

Sometimes, things just don't happen like we expect. Occasionally, the unexpected is a nice surprise, but sometimes the unexpected can turn an event, circumstance, or even a life, upside down. Last week, my daughter and I went to spend Spring Break with family. Our flight was lovely, the weather perfect, and we were looking forward to a stress free week. The first thing we did was eat lunch at one of our favorite Thai restaurants. As usual, we looked forward to our fortune cookies. We took turns reading and laughing...and then my daughter opened hers - "Be prepared for a change in plans." Uh-oh. We didn't like this one but we decided our week would be stress free and fun in spite of what a cookie said. Continuing on through out the day, all was well until that night. I sat outside on the porch of a friend I have known for 35 years and received news that changed something I have believed for 30 years. The words were horrible and made me so ill that I got sick within min...

I Close My Eyes

Well, I did it. I took the writer's challenge at a blog that I have been lurking around for some time. I found this blog through Laura at Wellblog 's place and have been enthralled ever since. I have dabbled in poetry on and off. Written some invitations, cards, and even a few song lyrics (for fun) but have been hesitant to post any. (roaring lion? see below post ) With the encouragement of a friend, I decided to take the challenge on L.L.Barkat's blog, in a lesson on seeing. I chose a subject that is cherished, a memory that was real and something close to my heart. The beach. Many, many days were spent at the beach in the 12 years I lived on the Southern Virginia coast. The memories are real, and when.......... I close my eyes and I can still see the beach. The endless spans of water Sometimes blue, green, or gray. It moves Gently and Violently Bubbles rise and falling forward. On and on. I close my eyes and I can still hear the crash Of tidal movement As earth slowly spi...

Birthday!

Today is a special day. It is the first day of my last year in my forty's. I am a little anxious about this, but overall, excited. There is something about knowing that 50 is one year away that causes me to experience a deeper motivation to live life to the fullest. Yesterday, I resigned from my current position. Fifteen months ago I accepted a position with a group of cardiologists in Dallas, thinking that it would be a good move to bring more satisfaction in my work life. Long story short, it did not turn out that way. (I don't think that was even a short story, but bear with me.) Although I met some people that I really liked, and enjoyed working with the doctors in that practice, it just really did not satisfy my desire to learn, to lead, and to make a difference. I have tried hard not to complain, and only a few close friends know how I really felt about my job there and I have prayed fervently (and with others) that God would open the door to an opportunity more su...