Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Self Talk Soul Talk - Press On: March On, O MY Soul


Have you ever been so overwhelmed that you just want to give up? There is so much to do that you find yourself not doing anything at all? Or discouragement and / or past failures have you paralyzed?

I certainly have. Whether my house is so dirty that I don't know where to start cleaning, a project is so big and the due date so close that I simply despair over how impossible it seems, or even relationships have failed and I start to think that they are not worth it after all.

Chapter 10 of Self Talk Soul Talk encourages me to press on!

Jennifer Rothschild, the author lays out a step by step plan.

1. Turn your feelings into action.
I can hear the Nike slogan, "Just do it." Another famous phrase, "One day at a time." Years ago, I made the decision to take the next step. Sometimes, when I can't see the end, or don't know where I am going, I stand there...doing nothing. I learned that if I just take THE NEXT STEP, it will lead to the next one. I don't have to know exactly where I am going, just as long as God is leading me each step of the way. Do I really trust Him? If so, then I must take the next step.

2. Affirm your true identity.
This quote from the book speaks volumes to my heart and soul. "Recognize that who you are and what you struggle with are NOT the same thing. Just because you have failed at something doesn't mean you are a failure."
Whoa! So true!
So, yes, I have failed at a few things...okay, let's face it, quite a few things. Some of these failures are things that are important to me, but that does not mean that I am a failure. Another cliche' comes to mind, "If at first you don't succeed, try, try again."

3. Speak truth to your soul.
Self talk soul talk - in ACTION. This entire book has been about this exact thing. God's word is full of truth, and truth about ME, truth about YOU! And there are life giving, encouraging words in His word. Read them! Speak them! Pray them!

4. Exercise Discipline.
WHAT?
Yes, discipline.
Jennifer brings out an age old saying, "Most of the time when we say 'I can't', we are really saying 'I won't'.
True. I recognize this when my kids tell me, "I can't unload the dishwasher right now, I have homework!" Yes they can, they just don't want to.
When someone tells me, "I can't talk to you right now.", I know they are choosing not to.
When I tell someone that I can't ... it usually does mean I won't.
Disability rarely hinders us as much as defiance.
Ouch.
God's guidance and discipline are the key to balance and help us monitor those thoughts, giving us wisdom that only comes from Him. He will tell us when we won't and when we will!

Press on. March on.
And when your dreams turn to dust, vacuum!

For more on Self Talk Soul Talk, visit Lelia's blog @ Write From The Heart

2 comments:

Corner Gardener Sue said...

Hi Liz,
I enjoyed reading what you picked up from the chapter. Sometimes we feel we are the only ones who have the struggles we do. It's good to be encouraged to persevere and speak truth to our souls.

God bless your week,
Sue

Carol said...

Okay Liz,

Love they way you broke this down, and definately love the part about disipline. So true. I know I've been on both sides of that.

On another note now everytime I see Cadbury Eggs I think of you. Have you seen the tiny ones? Yummy and cute.

Love,
Carol