Tuesday, March 24, 2009

The Unexpected

Sometimes, things just don't happen like we expect. Occasionally, the unexpected is a nice surprise, but sometimes the unexpected can turn an event, circumstance, or even a life, upside down.

Last week, my daughter and I went to spend Spring Break with family. Our flight was lovely, the weather perfect, and we were looking forward to a stress free week. The first thing we did was eat lunch at one of our favorite Thai restaurants. As usual, we looked forward to our fortune cookies. We took turns reading and laughing...and then my daughter opened hers - "Be prepared for a change in plans." Uh-oh. We didn't like this one but we decided our week would be stress free and fun in spite of what a cookie said.

Continuing on through out the day, all was well until that night. I sat outside on the porch of a friend I have known for 35 years and received news that changed something I have believed for 30 years. The words were horrible and made me so ill that I got sick within minutes - in a parking lot on the way to dinner for heaven's sake! What I heard changed my outlook on a major, traumatic even in my life to something else. I felt like I had been punched. This was NOT stress free! My dear friend had no intention of causing hurt, but she knew I would want to know. I love her for her honesty and her truthfulness continues to cement our friendship.

You really can be going along, minding your own business and something unexpected happens that rocks your whole world.

I will never know exactly the events that took place 30 years ago, and no matter how and why they happened, horrible is the only description either way. What I do know is God is still in control. He is my strength and my hope even in this. He gives me all I need to live through it and live with it.

Today I am grateful for
  • my wonderful God who hold me up when life is just too hard for me alone.
  • my husband who got almost as upset as I did when I told him the news and has been totally sensitive.
  • my friends who I can call and talk this through with, especially my wonderful sponsor.
  • those who love me and mourn with me.
  • a counselor who cried when I told her what had happened - she is great.
  • healthy, beautiful children.

6 comments:

pam said...

HUG! Some unexpected things can hit so deep...praying God helps you work it through...all the way through to complete peace...no lingering pieces stowed away.

Paula V said...

Such suspense in this...my nosey flesh desired to know what could cause such upset but I shall die to flesh.

The unexpected can be devastating and on occassion can be good...unexpected surprises, bonuses, etc.
Hope you are settling with the news.

Liz said...

Oh, Paula, the news was so horrific that I cannot put it on the web. Thank you for your prayers. God is in control and He is comforting.

Lelia Chealey said...

Liz girl...you know I'm praying for you.
Loving you through this.
L

Stacy said...

Liz, I am so sorry for the tragic news you received. I am in awe at how much we seem to have in common, in times. I received some information about 3 years about occurences that happened well over 25 years ago and the emotional devastation felt as if it had just occurred.

Sending much prayer and a HUGE hug your way!

Love ya, girl!

Carol said...

Liz,

I read this post after I had commented on your ABC post. I can only say that I will pray for you and am grateful that you know that God is in control.

Hugs my friend,
Carol