Skip to main content

Sand and Stone

I received the below in an email this week. You know, one of those forwarded stories that you receive and are suppose to pass along. I don't think there was any bad consequence to not forwarding it on (this time), but I did anyway, because it represents one of my favorite philosophies about life.
Forgiveness.

It took me a long time to totally understand true forgiveness.
It wasn't until I was in need of real forgiveness that I learned how to give it as well.
It is a little too late for some of the relationships that I lost along the way, but the lesson has been learned and I don't think I will ever look at relationships with the same pair of eyes.
I have found that all things can be forgiven. And often times, God is most glorified when reconciliation can take place and the wound is deeper and more difficult to forgive.
And this takes serious humility, which sadly, most people
(myself included) do not possess.
But, God has taken me on a journey of learning this.

If God can forgive a person for murder,
can I not forgive my friend for hurting me with her angry words?
If God looks at the rapist with mercy and love,
can I not forgive my friend who was abusive to his wife and child?
The list goes on and on.

I love this little poem.
It says it all just right.

STONE

Two friends were walking through the desert.
During some point of the journey,
they had an argument;
and one friend slapped the other one in the face.

The one who got slapped was hurt,
but without saying anything
wrote in the sand,
"Today, my best friend slapped me in the face."

They kept on walking,
until they found an oasis,
where they decided to take a bath.

The one who had been slapped got stuck in the mire
and started drowning
but the friend saved him.

After he recovered from the near drowning,
he wrote on a stone:
"TODAY MY BEST FRIEND SAVED MY LIFE."

The friend who had slapped and saved his best friend asked him,
"After I hurt you, you wrote in the sand
and now,
you write on a stone,
"WHY?"

The friend replied,
"When someone hurts us we should write it down in sand,
where the winds of forgiveness can erase it away.
But when someone does something good for us,
we must engrave it in stone where no wind can ever erase it."

LEARN TO WRITE YOUR HURTS IN THE SAND
AND TO CARVE YOUR BENEFITS IN STONE.

Something to live by,

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Unexpected

Sometimes, things just don't happen like we expect. Occasionally, the unexpected is a nice surprise, but sometimes the unexpected can turn an event, circumstance, or even a life, upside down. Last week, my daughter and I went to spend Spring Break with family. Our flight was lovely, the weather perfect, and we were looking forward to a stress free week. The first thing we did was eat lunch at one of our favorite Thai restaurants. As usual, we looked forward to our fortune cookies. We took turns reading and laughing...and then my daughter opened hers - "Be prepared for a change in plans." Uh-oh. We didn't like this one but we decided our week would be stress free and fun in spite of what a cookie said. Continuing on through out the day, all was well until that night. I sat outside on the porch of a friend I have known for 35 years and received news that changed something I have believed for 30 years. The words were horrible and made me so ill that I got sick within min...

I Close My Eyes

Well, I did it. I took the writer's challenge at a blog that I have been lurking around for some time. I found this blog through Laura at Wellblog 's place and have been enthralled ever since. I have dabbled in poetry on and off. Written some invitations, cards, and even a few song lyrics (for fun) but have been hesitant to post any. (roaring lion? see below post ) With the encouragement of a friend, I decided to take the challenge on L.L.Barkat's blog, in a lesson on seeing. I chose a subject that is cherished, a memory that was real and something close to my heart. The beach. Many, many days were spent at the beach in the 12 years I lived on the Southern Virginia coast. The memories are real, and when.......... I close my eyes and I can still see the beach. The endless spans of water Sometimes blue, green, or gray. It moves Gently and Violently Bubbles rise and falling forward. On and on. I close my eyes and I can still hear the crash Of tidal movement As earth slowly spi...

Behind Those Eyes - Chapter 8

We are completely loved and accepted completely. That is the chapter title this week and it is such good news! It is news that I have heard before, but news that I was glad to hear again. Lisa's story at the end of the chapter touched my heart...you know, the one where she woke up the morning after her prayer asking God to let her know that they were okay. The song in her head, that really was in her heart is awesome. I have had those times. Recently, I have had quite a few. The last few months (years maybe?) have been a little difficult. Some days I have wondered, "Does He REALLY love me?" And then some sort of confirmation will come along, He will let me know that we are okay and my heart sings. His love is gentle. His love is perfect. His love is comforting. And his love is absolutely unconditional. My blog time is shortened this week due the death in my family. My post is short, but honest and heartfelt. This week, I had a couple of conversations with a good...