Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Behind Those Eyes - Ms. Happiness - Chapter 4


Yes To God Tuesdays
Hosted by Lelia



Well, I just finished reading chapter 4 in the book Behind Those Eyes...a little late for Tuesday's post, but I thought I would post a little of my thoughts anyway. Because...I have been Ms. Happiness.

I started off thinking other people could make me happy. Ask my husband. He knows the whole story here. For many years I thought it was his "job" as my husband! Whew, did I have a lot to learn here. Then I realized that he wasn't the key, and I began to believe that I could make myself happy. Wrong again. Due to some serious upsets in my "happiness" I began to really seek after my God and discover the difference between happiness and joy. Oh, praise and glory to Him that the lesson came along before I got caught up in believing that something that I have or something that I do can make me happy. I find joy and happiness in my home, in my ministry, and in my job, but these things are not responsible for my happiness. If any of them were lost or changed, sadness would occur, but it would not be the end of my joy.

Don't understand me to say that it is not sometimes a struggle. When times are tough, and I have had a lot of tough times, it is an outright effort for me to remember that God is the source of what is good in my life. When my marriage is not clicking, when I lost my best friend, and my mom's motorcycle wreck, all of these things have threatened my serenity and joy. I love people. I especially love my family and friends. I am committed to them and love having them in my life. I thought I had the "perfect" life a few years ago...my husband and I were very happy, I loved my church and the ways God was using me and I had the blessing of the most fabulous friendships in the world...even a best, best friend. I thought life could be no better and was I ever happy! Within a matter of time, my husband lost a job (stress in the marriage to be sure!), we moved across the country and all those friends became acquaintances, my mom was seriously injured and her husband of 22 years was killed. Then, that best friend and I, had a falling out that has caused the deepest of betrayal and we are not speaking at all. Almost everything that I thought that made me happy was now gone, injured, or threatened.

God lead me to the verse that is our memory verse, in the middle of this crisis. (did I say all this stuff happened in rather quick succession.)

You have made known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence, with eternal pleasures at your right hand. Psalm 16:11

Look at my blog title. I claimed that verse when I had nothing to hang onto but God. He has taught me the truth in it. The path of my life may not always be easy, it might be rocky and I might even wander off of it and get lost, but HE makes it known to me and HE fills me with joy and eternal pleasures.

And wow! Have I ever learned that lesson in the last year.

Do I have true joy? Most of the time, I believe so. But it has been fairly recently that it has become real in my life. I know that my God has my best interest at heart. I know He will take care of me.

Ending with Lisa's quote from the book:

True joy comes from within when we are operating in our life in the way that pleases God.

Lord, no matter what is going on around me, no matter what is good, what is bad, no matter what, let my joy always be in pleasing You!
Amen!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh I know what it is like to have all those things that make you "happy" to be pulled away, so that you can find out where your true JOY is... the source of it.

I am so glad that you are on this journey with us... and don't worry about signing in late! It is wonderful to have you here, no matter what, or when, you post!
God bless,
heather

Anonymous said...

Liz,

We have so much in common!

I truly believe that God was trying to get my attention when he allowed the disinegration of my "best friendship" to happen. It has taken some time for me to realize this. I was giving so much to that relationship. Sometimes at the expense of my family and certainly at the expense of him in my life. I can say at this time that I am thankful for the loss. As much heartache as I have felt over it the joy of coming closer to God is so worth it!!

Blessings to you today!
Kim

Paula V said...

Liz, that is so wild that your blog title includes one of the scriptures that Lisa offered to us. How cool. I'm sure that is confirmation for you.

When you first said you lost your best friend, I thought you mean to death. Then you said there was a falling out. Oh how I can relate to that. I have/had a best friend. I don't want to slander her but let's just say I'm still a little baffled at why she abandon me in my time of most need and terrible trial in my life. She says because we disagreed with the interpretation of God's Word. Okay. That's odd. It is still so painful and very confusing.

As women, I think we find it so much harder to accept the loss of a best friend. We as women strive all our lives to have that one friend who will be our rock in hard times, that one we just click with.

Just wanted you to know, I know how that pain from the loss of friendships can feel. I've actually lost three friends during the most horrific trial of my life. Go figure.
Sweet Blessings,
Paula

Paula V said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tammy said...

Behind every cloud you will find the Son!

Your post gives me strength.

Blessings,
Tammy

Carol said...

Hi Liz,

I've been thinking a lot about your post. It resignates with me because I have a friend I've know for 36 years, and she is still struggling with a betrayl we both felt by one of our friends about 15 years ago, I've been able to forgive and ask for forgivness in my part. But she's stuck, and I just got an email from her about today.

Also the part about having everything taken from you, may not be happy but you still find Joy in God. That's powerful. I also love your honesty that you still struggle with it.

I just love being on this journey with you, and getting to know you.

Carol

Anonymous said...

enjoying being... OR ... in joy in being ;-) my two goals nowadays. Gotcha bookmarked now, girlfriend! :-))