Sunday, October 5, 2008

Flea Markets and Fun





I just woke up from a three hour nap and it is already time to go to bed! The reason that I am exhausted is because I spent my day yesterday at the largest and oldest flea market in the United States, First Monday Trade Days in Canton, TX.

My friend in San Antonio came up specifically to shop this flea market. Knowing that I had now been a few times since my move to the area, she was ready to make the trip and find out what all the hype is about this huge flea market!

She found out.

She sort of laughed when I told her that we would be leaving the house to get there when they opened. We arrived only thirty minutes after the gates opened, but there was already a line a mile long to enter the parking areas. Yes, really... a mile long if not more.

She snickered when I told her that we would be taking a cart, a metal cart, loaned to me by a friend, in order to manage all our finds. She asked, "Do you think we will need it?" Well.........
on our way to our car, it was heaped high and we were hoping the woven, pig shaped basket that I bought as a retirement gift for a friend, would not fall out.

We wore our athletic shoes and took bags that we could wear over our shoulders so that our hands could be free. We were armed with cash for easy negotiation over prices, and took turns in lines.

We came home with signs that said "Always Kiss Me Goodnight" to hang in our bedrooms, with Christmas ornaments and gifts in early preparation of the upcoming holidays, yard and garden decor, flags, and yes, I did buy a basket in the shape of a pig!


So, tired is an understatement. We walked for miles in the Texas dust, searching for bargains and items that we could not live without. My wonderful husband had a big pot of chili waiting for us when we drug in and promptly took a nice bath before dinner. We stayed up and talked about life until after midnight before retiring for the night.

I found myself dozing in church...not something that I am normally prone to do! I realized I might want to take a little nap this afternoon. I slept until 7:30 tonight!

Shopping a flea market as big as a city can do that to a girl!

What a great weekend.

I am off to bed, again. ;)

Good night,
~Liz

First Monday Trade Days

4 comments:

luvmy4sons said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog!

pam said...

Good heavens. Is that going every weekend? That basket is a hoot. Glad you had such fun with a friend!

Mary Ann said...

what fun!

Joy Junktion said...

Oh my goodness! That is something I have ALWAYS wanted to do. I am a flea market junkie. Never been to anything that big.
We don't have flea markets in Phoenix, it's just too hot I guess!