Sunday, October 26, 2008

What Would Jesus Do? thoughts on Luke 15


Some years ago, there was a phrase that became very popular:

What Would Jesus Do?

I was asked this question (rhetorically) when I was struggling with a relationship. A friend of a friend asked this question by way of comment on this blog, seemingly to point out that I was not doing what Jesus would have done in the same situation. True.

Since then, that relationship has deteriorated and I have been thinking a lot about the question,
"What would Jesus do?"
As a result of seeking God in this situation, I have since that time made choices that I believe that He would have made Himself. (However; being without sin as He was, He would not have been in the same situation) Anyway, I have taken responsibility for my part. I have confessed the wrong doings on my part and asked for forgiveness. I have asked for reconciliation and expressed the truth of my heart...sincere regret and desire to start over.

To no avail.

What would Jesus do?

He would not have posted some of the things I posted. He would not have said what I said. And He would not have done what I have done. But He would have forgiven me for doing so.

He has.

I wonder...would He have responded like they did? Would He have commented with hate and self righteous judgment? I ponder this question, trying to accept the rejection of my friend. Is she right in her decision? Is she doing what Jesus would do? And the friend? I didn't see Jesus in her comments at all. I find myself wanting to ask her the same question that she asked me.

Would Jesus have cut me out of His life because He could not trust me?

No.

Luke 15 is the chapter in which I have found my answer. God's word has spoken to the deepest parts of my heart and soul today.

I will let it settle. I will pray. I will forgive.

What would Jesus do?

He would come after me (He did) when I stray.
He would rejoice over my repentance. (He did)


The Parable of the Lost Sheep
Now the tax collectors and sinners were all drawing near to hear him. And the Pharisees and the scribes grumbled, saying, "This man receives sinners and eats with them."

So he told them this parable: "What man of you, having a hundred sheep, if he has lost one of them, does not leave the ninety-nine in the open country, and go after the one that is lost, until he finds it? And when he has found it, he lays it on his shoulders, rejoicing. And when he comes home, he calls together his friends and his neighbors, saying to them, 'Rejoice with me, for I have found my sheep that was lost.' Just so, I tell you, there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who need no repentance.

Luke 15:1-7

more to come......

No comments: