Friday, March 14, 2008

Rest

It is the official first evening of Spring Break for my 8th grade daughter, Rebecca. To celebrate, she and I got in our car and drove from Dallas to Tulsa, OK., which is my hometown. It is our first trip since Thanksgiving because my mother came to our house for the Christmas holidays so it is exciting to be back at "Grandma's".
There is something that still feels good about coming home, even after living in my own home, with my own husband and children for nearly 26 years. (Woo hoo...anniversary coming up this Thursday!) I enjoy bringing my daughter and it amazes her that after all the years away (I haven't lived in the Tulsa area since 1989), I still call it home. I love to look at the skyline, the river, and all the things that are so familiar to me. I drive the streets as if I still own them, the same streets where I first learned to drive, where I rode bikes with my friends, I drove my first car, I had my first date. Time flies backward when I am here and I feel young (sort of), full of hope and like I belong somewhere.
So, while I am here I know I will rest. Why is it that I always rest when I am with my mom? Is it because I know her love is unconditional? Because she doesn't require chores? (not since I have become an adult!) Because I can be myself? All of the above? And I never feel guilty. I can just say, "Mom, I am tired. Can I just rest for a while?" and she always says, "Yes, my child."
I also expect to be refreshed. The resting is necessary. God created rest and said it was good. When I rest, it helps me see things more clearly. That allows me to become refreshed. The same old burdens somehow become lighter. I am able to say, "I am tired, God. Would you handle this for me?" And He ALWAYS says "Yes, my child."
So, even though I have places to go and people to see in the 5 days that we will be here, I look forward to the rest and the refreshment of coming home to a place where I belong, where love surrounds me. A place to spend time with my mom and also my Heavenly Father.

Come to me, all who are weary and burdened and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28

I am taking Him up on that offer!

No comments: