Sunday, March 2, 2008

Beauty From Ashes

Beauty from ashes. I found myself pondering that phrase this week. My son has a band t-shirt that carries that name or something similar. And I ran across the phrase this week in a study that I am participating in. As I thought about the ashes, I realized that back in old testament times, ashes represented mourning. When someone died, or something terrible had happened, the people would tear their clothes or wear sack cloth (very uncomfortable) and put ashes on themselves. Our society used to wear black on similar occasions, but that seems to be a thing of the past. I found myself wondering why we, as a society, no longer make public expression of our mourning...or even our joys for that matter. Back in the day...(old testament again), emotional expression was the norm. Not only did people walk around with ashes and torn clothing, but they also wept aloud - publicly. And when King David experienced joy, he danced in the street in his underwear! As I think about these things, I wonder why we are so private with our emotions. I was part of a church where I was taught to keep secrets. When bad things were happening within the congregation, it was held in top secret. I understand that there is a such thing as privacy, and some people prefer that. Out of respect to them, that is fine, but I wonder if their lack of openness is fueled by the way society has seemingly learned to stifle emotions.
As I pondered these things this week, I found myself reading the story of Tamar in 2 Samuel, chapter 13. It is a horrible story of rape. What caught my attention this time was when Tamar confided in her brother what had happened, he told her to keep quiet, to not take it to heart. I was horrified! He did not want her to make a spectacle of the man who did her wrong. As I read on, I looked at the consequences that occurred as she followed her brothers advice. She lived a desolate life, the scriptures say. She lived the rest of her life unhappy and without hope, possibly feeling as if she herself had done something wrong. It broke my heart.
It seems to me that it does not please God when we stuff our heartache to protect ourselves, or others who have done wrong. God does not like lies and dishonesty. And He wants to heal our mourning hearts. He wants to see us dance in the streets with joy. I believe He wants us to express ourselves, be open with our emotions. He can help us with them when they are a reflection of something not right. If we are open with other believers, it gives Him even more opportunity to work, in more lives than just one.
I don't want to live a masquerade behind a face that lies about how I feel. I worry that we are becoming plastic in our relationships and I don't want to be that way. I want to dance when I am happy and wear ashes when I mourn, and give the Holy One every opportunity to make good on His promises. Read Isaiah 61:1-3 and rejoice!

The Spirit of the Sovereign LORD is on me,
because the LORD has anointed me
to preach good news to the poor.
He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted,
to proclaim freedom for the captives
and release from darkness for the prisoners,

to proclaim the year of the LORD's favor
and the day of vengeance of our God,
to comfort all who mourn,

and provide for those who grieve in Zion—
to bestow on them a crown of beauty
instead of ashes,
the oil of gladness
instead of mourning,
and a garment of praise
instead of a spirit of despair.
They will be called oaks of righteousness,
a planting of the LORD
for the display of his splendor.

Beauty instead of ashes. Amen!

No comments: