Sunday, March 30, 2008

Laughing

Friday night, a couple of ladies and I went to a Comedy act. One of the women works for the comedian that we went to see, so she assured us that we would really enjoy ourselves. I was looking forward to going since I wanted to spend time with these new friends and get to know them better.
We drove to a church in Plano and found good seats where we could see. The church's worship band played a concert for us that was quite good and very uplifting. We clapped, and worshiped, and enjoyed being together.
Then, the comedian, Tim Hawkins, got on stage. He was very, very funny. I can't remember when I laughed so hard. My stomach hurt, my face hurt, and I was laughing from deep inside of my soul. It was uncontrollable and so much fun. The ladies I was with were laughing with the same kind of laughter. And I was so very grateful that one of them, sitting next to me, laughed with the same loud and free laughter that I did.
I was thinking about laughter as we left the performance and I continued to laugh out loud for the rest of the night. I thought about how laughter is so healing and how good I felt afterwards. And I thought about how laughing together creates a bond between people. We women saw each other in a raw, unreserved state that can only be shared through laughter. I have a book mark that exhibits one of my very favorite quotes on laughter....

"Laughter is the shortest distance between two people."
-- Victor Borge

I experienced this last Friday night and it was so much fun! We left the church and went to grab something to eat. We still were not finished sharing and laughing so we went to the home of the woman who was paying the babysitter. We sat at her house and laughed and talked until nearly 2:00 a.m.! My family wondered what happened to me since I am always home by 11:00....I get tired, and am ready to go to bed. But Friday night I felt like a teenager. I was not tired and neither were they! It was crazy and the best therapy of my entire week!
Sharing a night of laughter is something I hope to do more often. I hope to spend time with people who make me laugh. I will work on finding humor in more of the things in my life that I take too seriously.
There is very popular phrase that comes to mind.

Live well - Love much - Laugh often
I think I will!!!!!
Still laughing,
~Liz

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

AMEN!!! I am looking forward to the next time we can get together and laugh! When is your pool party ??? lol

Posted by Trish on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 at 10:38 AM