Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun


After the somewhat blah week that I had last week, I did what many girls do to try and lift the spirits...I went shopping! My sister-in-law and my 26 year old niece were with me and we were looking for great outfits to wear to a baby shower for my other niece. Both of my nieces are in retail, one at Belk and the other at Ambercrombie and Fitch, so I needed to look as cool as possible for a 46 year old aunt. Since my mood had been a little dark, I was drawn to bright colors in bold 1960's patterns and just couldn't keep my eyes off of them. So, I tried on a wild dress, in yellow, black, gray, and cream and loved it. With the approval of my niece, I made the purchase and wore it to the shower with black tights and tall black high heeled boots. Wow, did I feel great. Just having fun...that's what girls do!

I also found a blouse at the department store, also in yellows, blacks, whites, and grays. There was something about these colors that seemed to lift my spirits, as if all the yellow was bringing the sunshine in to cover up all the darkness that I had felt the past week! So, I bought it too, even though it is not anything like what I would normally wear- to work, especially.

So, this morning, while I was getting ready for the day...feeling a little gloomy and knowing that there was dense fog outside to start the day...I decided to wear that loud, bold, and bright top. I put it on with a pair of gray slacks and an extra cool pair of gray and black pumps and left for work. I felt pretty good, but wondered what all my coworkers would think of me in this crazy outfit. I am usually a little more reserved in my work attire, black, gray, navy and brown, simple, straight lines, cute but practical shoes...hmmm. But some days, a girl just has to have some fun, even at work!

I strutted my way in to the office, feeling just a little like I was saying, "Look at me!" and sat down at my desk. The first person to tell me good morning complimented my outfit. Then a few minutes later, someone else said, "Don't you look great today!" By noon, I had received at least 10 compliments. I know I was smiling all day! I really have never had so many positive remarks over a blouse in all my life! I know I was beaming and wow, did it ever lift my spirits and I was having fun!

I knew there was a reason that new clothes make a girl feel great! And now that the yellow top has helped bring the sunshine into my life, I hope that I will see it all week long!

Just having fun!
~Liz

5 comments:

Tina said...

I can so relate! (as you well know lol) I think it is because of the way God created us, we have an innate eye for beauty. I once heard a sermon about how God made man but CREATED woman. Interesting.... something pretty can go a long way for us.

Anonymous said...

I would have never thought of you as reserved. This blouse is So You! Perhaps time has changed you?

Anonymous said...

Sexy Mama!!! You look awesome! Miss ya bunches!!!

Mary Ann said...

beautiful!

Lelia Chealey said...

When this picture pulled up on my computer screen it made me smile. You look beautiful & happy. :)
You go Girl!!