Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Heading for Health

When I turned 46 last fall, I decided that this would be the year that I get back into a state of physical, spiritual, and emotional fitness. Since I moved to Texas my exercise habits fell by the wayside which means my weight increased. Then my doctor diagnosed me with hypertension, probably a lot due to anxiety. Dealing on and off with some mild depression did not help. The challenge of relocating cross country, the emotional loss of my support network, the trauma of my mother's accident, and the pain of strained relationships in my former church, I felt like I was falling apart - body, mind, and soul.

I have taken several different steps in effort to achieve this goal. My blood pressure is controlled by medication, and an anxiety reducing medication at that. (Propranalol...very helpful!) My goal is to be able to eliminate the meds from my life, if my body will cooperate and calm down. My husband and I have gone back to a 90 percent vegetarian diet. He is a Cook For Life instructor and would prefer being a vegan. So, our goal has become to eat this way most of the time. Our daughter is good with this, but we have to make exceptions when our son and his girlfriend join us.

My relationship with God is strong and I spend as much time as I can talking to Him and listening to Him. I purposely attended some Bible Study classes that addressed some of the specific areas where I have struggled and even went on a 40 day fast in my quest to know Him more. I have set up a few strong accountability relationships and attend one regular meeting for support every week. Spiritually, I feel stronger and am ready to get back into doing life with fellow Christ followers. I am excited as God reveals His will for me and He is my one true desire again.

For our anniversay, my husband gave a three year membership to a fitness center. (knowing that I wanted it...not as a "hint" to do what he wanted me to do.) I have been working out 3 to 5 times a week since the 22nd of January. I have lost 14 pounds and am getting stronger every week. Recently, though, a friend of mine and I decided we would take a Yoga class. During a recent fitness assessment, I was told that flexibilty is something that would be a benefit to my health. My physician had also recommended yoga as a possible way to gain strength and also to relax. So, I thought that it was a great idea and off we went.

I have been attending the yoga classes for a couple of weeks now. I am shocked at how much better I feel in such a short period of time. Each time that I go, I can balance better, hold the pose longer, stretch further, and focus easier.

I have read that the benefits of yoga are wonderful and am beginning to see that they might be true. Besides the increased flexibility and balance, my joints feel better. My bum knee is hurting less, my back has not hurt for a whole week and my body seems to be more firm. I am sleeping better at night, which leads me to believe that it is reducing my anxiety. WOW! Good news! The one thing I am curious about is if it will help my digestive disorder. I have been diagnosed with IBS a long time ago and would love to eliminate any and all attacks. (sorry, this might be icky for some readers) I did a little research on yoga and found that yoga could help me manage this condition. Just like the face turns red when one is angry, the stomach lining turns red too. Anger, fear, jealousy, anxiety, tension, etc. are emotions which influence the stomach and also alter the blood flow and the motility of the intestine. There is some evidence that yoga practices create a healthy working environment for the digestive system too.

So, I am excited to be on the right track. My health is improving, in all of these areas! I am finding that exercise is pleasurable. I really, really like the yoga. I am in love with God. My family thrills me and I am extremely blessed to have them. I have hope for the future of my friendships...old ones and new ones. I have reconciled with one dear friend after a period of distance and we have picked right back up where we left off...only better! I found new friendships that I enjoy. Even the relationship that has gone through many changes and hurt will be great because God is in it. She and I have made it through a lot and we will make it through this season too. I have hope in all these things, which feels like a long time coming. God's timing is perfect and I trust Him.

I am heading for health and will not look back. Thank you, Sweet Jesus, for allowing me to fall forward into your arms!

No comments: