Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Thinking Back - Virginia Tech


One year ago today I recieved a phone call from my husband that I will never forget. I was standing in the middle of a parking lot when I heard the words, "There has been a shooting at Virginia Tech and several students have been killed." It was still early in the morning when I received this call and the news was still pouring out of the area. Our son was a student at Virginia Tech that day and as a mother, the feeling that came upon my being when I heard those words is something that I cannot describe and something I never hope to experience again. I became desperate to speak to my son, almost in a crazy way. When I finally reached him and found out that he was OK, tears of joy were uncontrollable and I thanked God with passion and sincerety that I have never known before.

Then I became a CNN addict. I knew my son was safe, but there were all those students who were not. And I was in Texas....my son in Virginia. I couldn't get close enough. I wanted to see him, to touch him, to hold on to him, but I was so far away. I called him every couple of minutes that day and every couple of hours for days to follow. The television and the telephone were my lifeline. I began to weep for the families who were not receiving the phone call to let them know that their loved ones were OK. Instead they were facing loss, unfair loss and pain that made no sense.

My son has some very good friends who live in Chesapeake, VA. They contacted him immediately and drove to Blacksburg to pick him up. He was too shaken up to drive the 6 hour trip alone. My heart will be forever grateful to Steve and Stephanie who love my son enough to bring him to their home, to give him rest, someone to talk to, and provide an escape from the sadness and chaos of the campus through the week that followed the tragedy.

This day marks a day that changed my life and my attitude about what is important. Our lives can change so quickly. I was in a Walmart parking lot one minute and could have left there without my son being part of my life. The thought still grips my heart and challenges me to make every moment count.

Today I pray for the families who mark the one year anniversary of the loved ones they lost. I pray for those of us who were touched personally by this event, that we will live victoriously as we know and understand that God is still in control. I pray for my son as he goes through this day knowing and remembering being in the building next door, fleeing back to his apartment, wondering what is happening and what to do next. I pray for the survivors that they will be free of fear and pain.

I don't understand what happened on the campus of Virginia Tech one year ago. I don't understand what happened in the mind of the young man who did the shooting. But I do find all the hope I need in the words of God from Philippians 4:7

And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Thank you, Lord for your peace. Help me live for you, every moment...loving and honoring you and the ones that you put in my life. Thank you, Father, for my family, the safety of my child through this tragedy and for today!

1 comment:

Lelia Chealey said...

Oh my goodness, made me cry Girlfriend! Wow, I can't even begin to imagine the desperation of your heart that day. What a horrible feeling that must've been, but if it brought you into a place of intimacy with the Lord then that phone call has got to be worth re-living.
I'm so thankful my friend that you are not writing in memory of your handsome son. Thank you JESUS!!!
Love you,
Lelia
p.s. thank you so much for the sweet welcome to Amiyah. I am SOOOOOO in love! ;)