Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Tuesday-Say Yes to God

I am participating in a cutting edge way of learning and studying God's word by joining a Blog Bible Study. I think it is fabulous and I love sharing what God is doing in the lives of others from all over the world. We are reading and sharing about the book What Happens When Women Say Yes to God by Lysa Terkeurst. Every Tuesday, I will post what I summarize from my reading in the current chapter. This week it is Chapter 2 Hearing God's Voice.

If you have been reading my blog in past months, you will know that I sometimes hear Him say things, then realize I heard Him, but misunderstood part of the message. Those of you who know me also know that I am a strong willed personality and have the tendency to mix in my own thoughts with God's message. This happened recently regarding a post that I titled "Genuine Pearls". I was certain, for a period of time, that God was requesting that I end a very close friendship of mine. It even seemed that He confirmed this "message" in other messages as suggested in Lysa's book. And it was true, but due to my own sin, I translated part of the message incorrectly. As weeks went by, I discovered the message was true, but I was applying it in a way that I manipulated suitably to my own desires. What He REALLY meant was that I had my own work to do, that HE was the genuine pearls, and that His desire for me was obedience. I came up with six very specific things that I needed to turn over to HIM in order to do what He was requesting. Wow! This was difficult and I did not want to say YES. I still struggle with maintaining the YES.

Even so, I will take the 5 Key Questions in this chapter:

Is What I'm Hearing Line Up with Scripture?
Is What I'm Hearing Consistent With God's Character?
Is What I'm Hearing Being Confirmed Through Other Messages?
Is What I'm Hearing Beyond Me?
Would What I'm Hearing Please God?

And challenge my decisions in this relationship, and in all decisions against the answers to these questions.

I pray that I have not caused so much damage that I have lost this dear friend, but I know it is a possibility. Going forward, my attitude is totally about saying YES to Him...no matter what. It might not make sense...and it doesn't right now, it is certainly beyond what I know that I can do without His love, strength and help. Consistently, He gives clues and hints and confirmations about what He is telling me. OPEN MY EARS, LORD!

My response to the Bible Study is as follows:

In my walk with God, some things are somewhat easy to discern and other times, I struggle back and forth with what He really intends for me. Recently, I have struggled with one particular friendship...not knowing what God REALLY intends, but knowing He desires a change. I love the 5 Key Questions and even though I know them, it is such a wonderful reminder to lay them out before the Lord when I feel He is leading me in a particular direction.
My desire is to please Him. Lelia, I love the illustration you used, about your High School classmate, John, and his Polo Cologne. I want people to taste Jesus when they are in my presence too...and I know that I don't always allow that to happen. So, I will continue to put my struggles to the test of these 5 questions...again. And act according to what He says. Dear Bloggy Friends, if you have read any of my blog posts, it is clear that there has been betrayal and bitterness in my past. All I want is to say YES to God. I know that He has the very best in store for me and I continue to look forward to what He will reveal by doing this study. I covet your prayers and love the testimonies of each of you. Thank you for sharing what God is doing in your life.

I am blessed to have the opportunity to share my heart.
Blessings to you, my dear friends and sisters in Christ,
~Liz

4 comments:

Jenny said...

This is my first visit to your blog, but friendships can be tough!

I'm looking forward to browsing around some more!

Jen

Pamela (His maidservant) said...

You are not alone dear sister. We all struggle with hearing God clearly. We are not perfect but the more we say YES, the more we will be like Him and the easier it will become to radiate His presence in our life. Maybe we start with unforgiveness, maybe we empty our lives of ourselves (see my blog comments), maybe we let go of things in our lives that will be difficult to do. Whatever it requires, it all comes down to being willing to say YES.

I love becoming a women who says YES to God!!

In His Graces~Pamela

Heather said...

Boy, I sure know that experience when we interpret God's words wrongly. It's not always easy to hear His voice clearly. I'm glad He has the grace to keep on gently nudging us in the right direction.

Amy said...

Great post! I too have had struggles with "certain" friendships. I also had much trouble discerning what God was saying to me....and my bending the truth of what He told me, cost me. Dearly.
Thanks for sharing your heart.
I look forward to reading more.
In Christ,
Amy:)