Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Say Yes to God Chapter 4

It is time for my Bloggy Bible Study post. I am sorry that I am a little late, but what I learned from this chapter is the same today as it was yesterday. :)

I love the title of the chapter - You Never Know How God Will Use You Until You Let Him!
It is so simple, but so true.

In my life, the times I have been used most by God were the times that I thought I was simply living life, minding my own business and He placed a person or a situation in my life in which He intended to use me. Many of those times, I was unaware that it was happening until after the fact. What I do understand now, those were all times that I was already walking daily with Him and I was spending time with Him regularly. Often this happened even in the midst of what He had called me to do in my service to Him...which I believe is the point, but I am always surprised! There have been times when I said yes and was having to walk out in faith, total blind faith. There was a time my husband and I said yes to helping with a church plant, the first time that I sang a song on stage, and then scarier yet, ALONE! I experienced saying yes when I first worked with youth and thought they knew more than I did, then teaching adults was even more intimidating. Even relocating from Kansas to Virginia and then from Virginia to Texas. Those were both times that we had to say yes to God and He intended on using through the move and where He put us. The list goes on, but I have said yes to Him when I knew without a shadow of a doubt that the only way that I could do what was asked was through His power. And then I found out that He would use me! I would never have known the blessings of helping another person come to understand the reality of my Jesus could also be theirs! I wish that I could say that I have always been in a position of saying yes to God, but I have not. Lysa's words stood out to me on page 70 of the book. Her words are:

"I am not a woman who should be labeled unable. I am a woman on a journey of learning how to make sure my reactions don't deny Christ's presence in me. I am a woman who says yes to God not because my emotions and reactions are always perfect. No, I say yes to God because He is perfectly able to forgive me, love me, remind me, challenge me, and show me how to weather trials in ways that prove His Spirit resides in me. I remind myself often that people don't care to meet my Jesus until they meet the reality of Jesus in my life."

AMEN!

Sometimes I find myself believing that I am unable. I believe Satan's lies. I believe the discouragement of other people when they witness my weakness and do not see Jesus. But, I do have a God who's Spirit is within me. And I am able to say yes no matter what the enemy tries to tell me or what my enemies have to say. God tells me different and He tells me the truth. My growth is not pseudo, my motives are not to hurt, but my heart is genuine before the Lord and I know that He is working in me, and my true desire is to please Him and find joy and satisfaction in Him. When I am doing this, I allow myself to be used by Him, and I have more opportunity to say "Yes, God!"

And I know He hasn't given up on me. He has given me plenty of opportunity to be radically obedient to Him. At this moment, He has given me the chance to say yes to Him in some changes He wants to make in my heart. I know it is Him. I could not do it without Him and I am excited to see what He plans to do in my life when I am on the other side of obedience. And He puts people in my life who do not know Him...always in situations where they will see the reality of Jesus in my life. There are two of these relationships in my life at this moment, and I feel so unworthy to be in such a situation. But, I pray and I am honest, with my struggles, my hopes, and my absolute faith in Christ that He will work all things for good when I continue to seek Him. And, if one of these persons seeking God sees me fall, they will watch me cry, and reach out to the God who is able to lift me up and love me back into His arms of mercy.

I love Psalm 31: 10, 14-16, 19, 21

My life is consumed by anguish and my years by groaning: my strength fails because of my affliction, and my bones grow weak...But I trust in you, O Lord; I say, "You are my God. My times are in your hands; deliver me from my enemies and from those who pursue me. Let your face shine on your servant; save me in your unfailing love...How great is your goodness, which you have stored up for those who fear you, which you bestow in the sight of men on those who take refuge in you...Praise be to the Lord, for he showed His wonderful love to me."

I am challenged by this chapter to open my eyes a little wider to where I can say yes to Him today because I want to find out more about what happens when women say YES to God!


3 comments:

Amy said...

"Many of those times, I was unaware that it was happening until after the fact."

I can so relate to this statement....Isn't God good that He lets us get a glimpse of Him in our lives in the present and future, as well as the past?

I love when He reveals Himself that way.

Great post!
God Bless,
Amy:)

Pamela (His maidservant) said...

What a wonderful reminder of Psalm 31 in relationship to saying YES to God!! I am with you on this! I wish it was an easier journey. The deeper we get in this, the more I feel satan test us-that's a good thing-to be made stronger in and for Christ. I wasnt to see Him, to hear Him to know Him more and to follow hard after Him. So on we travel on this study!!
Blessings~
In His Graces~Pamela

Amy L Brooke said...

Great thoughts. I love doing this book together! I will pray that you will more and more be able to say "Yes".