Monday, January 26, 2009

A Cleaner Closet


Been cleaning out my thought closet and let me tell you what, I am so eager to throw some of this old, dirty stuff away.

While I go through some of these toxic thoughts, God is also good enough to me to add to it some areas where I need to confess sin. As I throw out the negative thoughts, there are memories attached to them that I need to deal with.

The words of a gossip are like choice morsels; they go down to a man's inmost parts.
Proverbs 26:22

Sometimes my faulty thinking has allowed me to make grave errors in judgement. Pain has sometimes influenced my wanting to take revenge.

Sometimes, I have given in to the temptation. And like the scripture says, the consequenses went deep into who I WAS. (not who I am)

Gossip is so big in our society that we have created an entire industry around it. Gossip magazines, newspapers, and television shows air out all kinds of stuff that is not our business. It makes it difficult to tell the difference between what is okay to talk about and what is not.

When I became aware of negative in the life of someone I was close too, I knew it needed to be shared...somewhere. It was sin that needed to be confronted. I turned in circles trying to figure out what to do with what I knew. This went on for years and slowly but surely, I revealed just enough of this person's dirty laundry to be considered gossip. It was painful for them, yes, but also painful for me. I developed a pessimistic view of life. This problem infiltrated my thoughts. I began to tear down others with my words instead of lifting them up. And I stopped believing in the possibility of God doing the impossible.

I have now come clean, (confessed and apologized) but like the torn and dirty things in my closet, just washing these items will not remove what was done. Only God's power to cleanse will remove the painful thoughts and the hurt that accompanies that one incident.

I choose to throw this yucky outfit away. I know that I will be faced with negative things on and off throughout my life...even my day, but I don't have to focus on them. I choose to be optimistic on purpose, by the power of Jesus Christ.

5 comments:

pam said...

It is such an easy sin to fall into. I best get reading on my next chapter...I have lost track of time and tomorrow is Tues.

Laura said...

Ouch. Something I really need to work on, Liz.

I'm working on my "R" list too! It's amazing how much harder it is when you sit down to do it. I've come up with eight "R" things so far. Still pondering on it. Maybe I'll put it in my Yes to God post tomorrow!

Love ya,
Laura

The Dementia Nurse said...

"I choose to be optimistic on purpose, by the power of Jesus Christ." I am writing this on an index card to keep in my car this week (one of my favorite ways to meditate on truth during busy days). Thank you so much!

Cindy said...

I enjoyed this post. I'm always organizing, cleaning out closets, simplifying and from time to time I have to take the same effort in my mindset. Great thoughts. I look forward to reading more...

Corner Gardener Sue said...

It is very hard not to repeat something you know about someone that you know they should not be doing, and I told a teacher what I overheard that was the reason why a co worker was not at work. It was the truth, but it wasn't excellent or praiseworthy, and I shouldn't have repeated it.

I did not beat up on myself for it too long, but regret saying it. Thanks for this post! I like your illustration.