Monday, January 12, 2009

Trustworthy

My former pastor, Ed Young, who I really like and enjoy his teaching, sends out an E-votional every day. As with most devotionals, it is hit and miss with what God is doing in my life. Today's devotional hit the mark. There are some small things in my life, that I need to be more trustworthy with. Lunch Money. Time. Following through and doing what I say I will do, even if is as small as going to the bank for my husband. Good reminder that I though I would pass on today.


Whoever can be trusted with very little can also be trusted with much, and whoever is dishonest with very little will also be dishonest with much.

Luke 16:10

Can you be trusted? I think the first response for all of us is, “Of course I can!” And there are probably plenty of times when that is true. Most of us can be trusted when we make a promise, or when there are serious consequences at stake. But that is only part of being trustworthy.

Can you be trusted in the little things? That is where the rubber meets the road. When you tell someone you will call them, do you? When you say you will meet a friend at a certain time, do you show up 15… 30… 60 minutes late?

Real trust is proven when we follow through with the little things, not just the big ones. Because the little things could be opportunities God uses to prepare you for something more.

When a friend asks you to help with something small, remember that the little things matter. Be trustworthy with them. And discover how it can lead you to being “trusted with much.”

(I was going to start my posting for Self Talk Soul Talk, but I left my book at work, so that will go out tomorrow during the lunch break, if there is time.)





3 comments:

TeriAnnElizabeth said...

Liz,

I needed that!!! Are you talking about Ed Young the younger guy or Dr. Ed Young the pastor in Houston...I think it's Second Baptist?

Anyway, what you said is something I've been struggling with lately. Self talk, Soul Talk is a wonderful book, but when the words in my head tell me I am not being a good steward with my money, time or taking care of my body...it's not lies.

I know it is the Holy Spirit persistently speaking to me that I need to change my ways. I am going to listen to "these words" because even though I am made righteous by Christ, I need to show HIM my love by honoring and obeying HIM in all things for HIS glory and my good.

Are you still at Matt Chandler's church? I really like him!

Blessings and love,
Teri

Liz said...

Teri-Yep, that is the Ed Young I was talking about. My family and I attended there for almost 3 years when we first moved to Texas. But, we have been at The Village, our pastor is Matt Chandler, for over a year now. I love Matt, he is a gifted man.
Same here on the Self Talk Soul Talk, thus will be my post today. Sometimes it is truth I need to hear (same things you mentioned). More later......
Thanks for the comment!
Love, Liz

Paula V said...

You are so right and the scripture is so powerful. We can forget to be true and trusted in the small things. Our word is all we have. If we say we'll do something or be somewhere and we are not, what does that say about our word and thus our character.

When you say Ed Young use to be your pastor, do you mean THE Ed Young on tv (mid 40s maybe) who has a church in Texas or somewhere like that. A huge church? If it is him, oh my! I love, love, love his preaching. He is on tv Sundays at 8:30 on USA I believe. I rarely am up by then for church so I miss him most of the time. He's fab though.