Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Not So Well With My Soul


It's that time again...Yes To God Tuedays, hosted by Lelia at Write From the Heart. The book this time is Self Talk Soul Talk and even though I am a day late in posting, I am excited to be working through this topic with my bloggy buddies!


The beginning of this book stirs up things that for so long I thought that I could not control. Years ago, I remember asking my husband how he controlled his thoughts (it seemed to me that he was fairly good at this) and he said he chose not to think about thoughts that were not beneficial. The answer seemed good, but I still couldn't grasp what he was talking about. When he tried to explain further, he used the illustration of a bird flying by, that you just watch it fly over your head but don't let it make a nest. Hmmm.


I have managed to do better with this thought control, but have yet to really get a good handle on it and I think this book might just help me with the next steps.


It is the stuff in my thought closet! The thoughts that are stored on those shelves, racks, and bins have more influence than I imagined. Some of these thoughts are quite old and I have recited them over and over to myself for many years.

The author Jennifer Rosthschild tells us, "Our words are powerful. Especially the words we say to ourselves. That's why we need to take a peek into our own closets and see what's lining those shelves."

Okay, Friends, I guess it is time for me to do a little closet cleaning. I have noticed a few sentences popping around in my head, especially after reading this chapter. They sound like, "She really must hate me." "I don't know why I am in my position, I really don't know what I am doing." Even, "No wonder you can't think of anything to write on that blog...you really don't have anything worth reading anyway."

Yucky stuff.

So, I look forward to cleaning this old closet out. I love, also, what Jennifer says when she wrote, "Because your thoughts strongly influence you, you must learn to govern them with some truthful soul talk. The will start you on the path of right thinking. It will lead you to unknotted, productive feelings and free you up to live the life you long for."
Woo Hoo! I am ready for some of that, how about you?


10 comments:

pam said...

Thinkitis (thinking too much) really isn't bad. We just all need to get His Word into us more than the clutter of junk. I'm thinking I need to ask Him for scripture that speak the truth to my spirit---get those memorized and ready to pull out when those other thoughts try to nest. Hope you're feeling better.

The Dementia Nurse said...

Hi Liz! To be honest, I'm not sure where I wandered over to your place from - I love those rare nights I can just sit and see where God takes me. This post left me laughing out loud - you know, not a "Man, this chick is crazy" laugh, rather a "She has been reading my mail" laugh. I'm so glad I came across you! I'll be back.

Joy Junktion said...

Hey Liz,
Many of us are doing some 'thought' closet cleaning this week. Mine started awhile ago but this book has encouraged me to really dig deep and get rid of the 'junky' thoughts hidden in the darkest corners of my mind.
Lots of work ahead (again):)
Cindy

Heather said...

Oh, the nests in my hair, that need to be removed! I love the image of letting a bird flit by and not allowing it to build up a permanent home in my head!

Laura said...

Hi there, Liz! It sounds like we all have some closets to clean. I wonder if California closets will consult here? NOT! We'll have to do it the good old fashioned way--with grit and determination--and God!

I'm really looking forward to taking this journey with you, friend.

Love,
Laura

Paula said...

Hi Liz, it's so amazing how we women predominantly think the same self defeating thoughts! It's scary stuff, but thanks to God that we are all now on the journey to cleaning out our thought closets! Personally, I need to do my clothes closet too, so I might work on both together! Loved your post and I look forward to reading more. Paula :-)

Anonymous said...

I really loved when Jennifer wrote about words being so powerful.
we really do have the ability to tear down or lift up someone else with our words... and so much more so for ourselves!

Thanks for your insights!
God bless,
Heather

Carol said...

Hey Liz, first of all I had to laugh when I pulled up your page I thought it was mine. Seems we have the same taste in backgrounds.

So I'm ready too. I have some serious cleaning to do to. I have said some of those exact things to myself. Let's clean together.

Love,
Carol

Anonymous said...

It is so interesting to me that men don't seem to have this soul talk problem...why???

I love how you asked your husband how he controls his thoughts and the answer he gave you:

"he used the illustration of a bird flying by, that you just watch it fly over your head but don't let it make a nest."

That is such an awesome way of thinking!!

I am excited about this book study and cleaning out my closet.

Unknown said...

I am a little late this week and new to this study but....

I remember those times when the "junk drawer" or "hall closet" gets cleaned out. Initially, it is scary and overwhelming looking at the junk that has accumulated but when the cleaning is over the feeling of accomplishment is wonderful.

I am looking forward to cleaning out those "thought closets" and replacing the useless with the useful and more importantly, truthful.